A7M266 Memory Questions?

bytor

I understand the board will support up to 2100, but would a 512mb 3200
stick work but just resort to the boards max of 2100, reverse compatible
I assume would be the correct word?
And if the 3200 works(at lower rate) I would assume a 512mb 2100 stick
will work together with it?

milleron

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:30:18 -0400, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

>I understand the board will support up to 2100, but would a 512mb 3200
>stick work but just resort to the boards max of 2100, reverse compatible
>I assume would be the correct word?
>And if the 3200 works(at lower rate) I would assume a 512mb 2100 stick
>will work together with it?

I'm still running my A7M266. I have matched PC2100 sticks, but it's
my understanding that your assumption of the way mismatched SDRAM
works is correct. I've put PC133 sticks in my older Dell along with
PC100, and everything works just fine.
I presume you're asking because you're already in possession of the
PC3200 stick. Correct? You're not going to hurt anything by trying
it, so please let us know how it works.

Ron

bytor

In article <XZEAe.14048$jE2.13550@fe23.usenetserver.com>,
ByTor@snowdog.com, ByTor says...

> In article <oob5d1h5lrgm61hhccrhr6oej9ilfgf95b@4ax.com>, millerdot90
> @SPAMlessosu.edu, milleron says...
>
> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:30:18 -0400, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
> >

> > >I understand the board will support up to 2100, but would a 512mb 3200
> > >stick work but just resort to the boards max of 2100, reverse compatible
> > >I assume would be the correct word?
> > >And if the 3200 works(at lower rate) I would assume a 512mb 2100 stick
> > >will work together with it?
> >
> > I'm still running my A7M266. I have matched PC2100 sticks, but it's
> > my understanding that your assumption of the way mismatched SDRAM
> > works is correct. I've put PC133 sticks in my older Dell along with
> > PC100, and everything works just fine.
> > I presume you're asking because you're already in possession of the
> > PC3200 stick. Correct? You're not going to hurt anything by trying
> > it, so please let us know how it works.
> >

> > Ron
> >

> Yes I have a PC3200 stick same brand (Kingston)

Correction: Micron Tech memory sticks............

ByTor wrote:
> I understand the board will support up to 2100, but would a 512mb 3200
> stick work but just resort to the boards max of 2100, reverse compatible
> I assume would be the correct word?
> And if the 3200 works(at lower rate) I would assume a 512mb 2100 stick
> will work together with it?

The 3200 stick should work just fine, albeit - as you said yourself - at
a lower rate. Whether or not the board will be happy with the two
different sticks at the same time is a question nobody here can answer
but you, by putting both in and having a go at it. If at first you don't
succeed, tr^h^h move them around in the slots, and try conservative mem
settings. Good luck.

RJT