Bruce

Reciently installed 256mg chip in my compac 715us laptop
(128mg original) runs great for 30 min or so then locks
up. I need to disconnect power to free it.Nothing
responds. Any Ideas?

"Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Reciently installed 256mg chip in my compac 715us laptop
>(128mg original) runs great for 30 min or so then locks
>up. I need to disconnect power to free it.Nothing
>responds. Any Ideas?

Was the RAM that you installed specifically certified as being
compatible with your exact Compaq laptop model? Laptops in general
are notoriously proprietary in the their RAM specifications, and
Compaq even more so.

Try removing the original 128 mb and running with just the new 256 mb
installed. If the problem persists then the new RAM is defective or
at least not fully compatible with your Compaq model and needs to be
returned or exchanged for the correct type of RAM module.

If the computer runs okay when either the old or the new RAM is
installed but has problems when both modules are installed then the
problem is that the two modules (old and new) are not fully compatible
with each other. RAM from different manufacturers, or even from the
same manufacturer but different production lots, can have differents
in the material composition and/or the internal layout of the RAM
chips. Windows is sensitive to these differences. If this is the
underlying cause of your problem then there is no easy cure of work
around. You can choose to run with either the old or the RAM by
itself, or you could replace the old RAM with another module that is
identical (same manufacturer and product lot) as the new RAM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP