A78X2.0 will not boot any drive

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 11, 2005 11:43:01 AM

Hi

I am writing this on behalf of my son who is presently cut off from
the Internet.

He has a Mesh computer and the POST reports that it has an ASUS
A78X2.0 (so I am told). One day his new hard drive failed to boot.
His rescue disk failed to boot.

I drove 200 miles to sort it out and witnessed first hand that
Maxblast3.exe on a floppy that had worked on my machine wouldn't boot.
I tried to fdisk the 160Gb Maxtor and it gave up at 25Gb. So we tried
to install XP Home to the 25Gb that had been found. It installed but
then fell over. Much the same thing happened with a temporary drive
that worked perfectly on my machine. I fdisked it and it failed to
veriify the drive.

We shall eliminate memory as the source of the problem but then we
shall start looking for a replacement board. Can anyone point me in
the direction of a compatible board, please, or tell me what's wrong?

Colin

PS I am alarmed to see how many headers relate to the A7N8X - is it a
bad mobo?

More about : a78x2 boot drive

July 12, 2005 1:36:58 AM

just on an off chance...did you replace the IDE cable?...have seen that
before..system no boots..replace cable and all is fine..
July 12, 2005 9:25:22 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:43:01 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>PS I am alarmed to see how many headers relate to the A7N8X - is it a
>bad mobo?

Well there is like 6 different flavors of the A7NX8. ;p
http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.asp?kp=A7N8X&langs=09

I've had the plain jane "A7N8X 2.0 (Ultra 400)" running since mid May
03, it's been flawless for me.

Ed
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 2:05:29 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:25:22 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:43:01 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>

>>PS I am alarmed to see how many headers relate to the A7N8X - is it a
>>bad mobo?
>
>Well there is like 6 different flavors of the A7NX8. ;p
>http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.asp?kp=A7N8X&langs=09
>
>I've had the plain jane "A7N8X 2.0 (Ultra 400)" running since mid May
>03, it's been flawless for me.
>
>Ed

Thanks Ed. I'm still not sure which mobo came with the Mesh. I think
it is a total failure, though and we should be looking at replacing
it.

If he's got a connection now I'll pass the information on. My guess is
that he's got your mobo.

Colin
July 28, 2005 12:50:40 AM

We are now at a complete loss.

We couldn't find the fault so after checking that it wasn't one of the
memory chips I advised my son to get a new mobo. he's just installed
it and the fault is still there.

To sum up: nothing will boot up using the old mobo, no floppies, no
hard drives, no CD's. The only thing left was the mobo so he's changed
it. Same thing. Of course it just might be his CPU. How do we check
that?

Colin

!