My favourite...the KERNEL32.DLL error

Rabs

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Why is it that I keep getting this error which kills IE5.5 SP1 (on Win ME btw) when looking at certain sites, when I'm using IE5.5 SP1 on Win 2K Pro everythings fine. This is a common problem too among other friends with the WinME/IE5.5 SP1 combo.

I know the simple answer is to use Win2K :p but any ideas on the ME prob is appreciated.

Sys' specs if you're interested:

Abit KT7 Raid (ZT BIOS), Athlon 1G@1G, 256MB PC133, 2x30GB IBM 75GXP in RAID 0, Sanyo 16x10x40 SCSI Burnproof, Plextor 40x Ultraplex SCSI, Pioneer 16x Slot IDE (1.06), Hercules GF2 GTS, SB Live 1024, Generic 10/100 NIC, 56K Ext USR Modem

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Windows ME? I think they should have called it Windows Blow ME, because that's about all it does...

Anyway, it could quite possibly be some sort of IRQ conflict. I remember reading something about how boards based on the VIA KT133 (like your KT7), would have problems locking up in IE5.5.

Check to see if any of your hardware is sharing IRQ's. Windows may say that there isn't a conflict, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't. Maybe mess around with moving cards to different slots and such. And also disable Plug and Play OS in your BIOS, this will force the BIOS to select all of your IRQ's instead of letting Windows set it's own.

Hope this helps...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol: