  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2005 7:10:37 PM

Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it down
some.

If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink attached
(other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate a
thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.

Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the indicated
temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back to
nosier fans.

Suggestions?

More about : p4p800 motherboard temp

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 12:30:09 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:10:37 -0700, "Gert B. Frob"
<sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:

>Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
>hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it down
>some.
>
>If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink attached
>(other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate a
>thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
>
>Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the indicated
>temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
>hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back to
>nosier fans.
>
>Suggestions?

Kick off the sides, allow air flow all thru the thing. If you ain't in an
office, can you really afford to keep the room at 52 degrees 24/7 ?
Mine runs so cool the fans almost stop. That's the biggest alert I get where
the fans drop below norm.

And having the heat sensor moved away
>I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
from the heat source would DROP the temp not raise it.

a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 12:30:10 PM

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:10:37 -0700, "Gert B. Frob"
> <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:
>
> >Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
> >hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it
down
> >some.
> >
> >If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink attached
> >(other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate a
> >thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
> >
> >Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the
indicated
> >temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
> >hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back
> >nosier fans.
> >
> >Suggestions?
> >

> Kick off the sides, allow air flow all thru the thing. If you ain't in an
> office, can you really afford to keep the room at 52 degrees 24/7 ?
> Mine runs so cool the fans almost stop. That's the biggest alert I get
where
> the fans drop below norm.
>
> And having the heat sensor moved away
> >I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
> from the heat source would DROP the temp not raise it.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

If there is a thermal pad or compound beneath the Northbridge heat sink and
it loosened, the temperature of the Northbridge would rise, not fall. And,
if the "motherboard" temperature probe was located by the Northbridge, it
would indicate same.

While removing the sides of the case would, no doubt, lower the indicated
temperature, it's not the solution I had in mind.

Thanks for your thoughts.
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 2:55:07 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:53:57 -0700, "Gert B. Frob"
<sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:

>"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:10:37 -0700, "Gert B. Frob"
>> <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
>> >hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it
>down
>> >some.
>> >
>> >If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink attached
>> >(other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate a
>> >thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
>> >
>> >Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the
>indicated
>> >temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
>> >hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back
>> >nosier fans.
>> >
>> >Suggestions?
>> >

>> Kick off the sides, allow air flow all thru the thing. If you ain't in an
>> office, can you really afford to keep the room at 52 degrees 24/7 ?
>> Mine runs so cool the fans almost stop. That's the biggest alert I get
>where
>> the fans drop below norm.
>>
>> And having the heat sensor moved away
>> >I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
>> from the heat source would DROP the temp not raise it.
>>
>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
>
>If there is a thermal pad or compound beneath the Northbridge heat sink and
>it loosened, the temperature of the Northbridge would rise, not fall. And,
>if the "motherboard" temperature probe was located by the Northbridge, it
>would indicate same.
>
>While removing the sides of the case would, no doubt, lower the indicated
>temperature, it's not the solution I had in mind.
>
>Thanks for your thoughts.

What I was saying is if the SENSOR moved away from the heat source, the temp
would drop, not rise. Much cooler 10 feet from the flame than sitting in it.

I jumped in because we have the same setup. Mine burned up a 350 watt power
supply in less than a day. actually hours after setup. And that was with the
sides off.

July 12, 2005 3:59:14 PM

In article <89KdnRlBUtTGc0_fRVn-og@comcast.com>, "Gert B. Frob"
<sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:

> Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
> hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it down
> some.
>
> If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink attached
> (other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate a
> thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
>
> Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the indicated
> temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
> hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back to
> nosier fans.
>
> Suggestions?

My guess would be it is located next to the Winbond hardware monitor
chip. Since some brands of thermistors come in exactly the same
packaging as ordinary resistors, it isn't always possible to tell
them visually. I would hope the silk screen on the boards would
use something informative like "RT1" for a thermistor, instead
of "R1" which sould be appropriate for a simple resistor.

My guess would be, the new hard drives are very near the hardware
monitor chip, and the extra heat they throw off, plus the reduction
in airflow around the Winbond chip area, is causing the sensor to
read a higher temp.

I've tried looking at my P4C800-E, but I'd need the services of
a good microscope to figure this one out. My eyes simply are not
good enough to trace this, without pulling the motherboard from
its case.

For details on your Winbond W83627THF chip (I assume that is the
chip), look for that part number on this page:

http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/vi...

Pins 102, 103, 104 on page 18, are where the thermal input signals go.
On page 33, you can see how Rth is connected to pin 104, to allow
monitoring system temperature. So, somewhere near that pin, expect
to find the thermistor, and the 10K ohm resistor used to form
a voltage divider. Asus should keep these parts close to the
monitor chip, as if they are mounted far from the chip, noise
will get added to the signal. So, best guess, the sensor is in
the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 9:43:48 PM

> In article <89KdnRlBUtTGc0_fRVn-og@comcast.com>, "Gert B. Frob"
> <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:
>
> > Where is the "mother board" temperature sensor located? Mine is reading
> > hotter than it has in the past and I'd like to investigate bringing it
down
> > some.
> >
> > If it's around the Northbridge, how is the Northbridge heat sink
attached
> > (other than the obvious spring loaded hold downs)? Does it incorporate
> > thermal pad or compound? I'm thinking it might have loosened, if so.
> >
> > Since upgrading four harddrives and putting in quieter fans, the
indicated
> > temp has risen from about 32 c to 40 c. While I don't think this is too
> > hot, I wouldn't mind getting it back down, hopefully without going back
> > nosier fans.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> My guess would be it is located next to the Winbond hardware monitor
> chip. Since some brands of thermistors come in exactly the same
> packaging as ordinary resistors, it isn't always possible to tell
> them visually. I would hope the silk screen on the boards would
> use something informative like "RT1" for a thermistor, instead
> of "R1" which sould be appropriate for a simple resistor.
>
> My guess would be, the new hard drives are very near the hardware
> monitor chip, and the extra heat they throw off, plus the reduction
> in airflow around the Winbond chip area, is causing the sensor to
> read a higher temp.
>
> I've tried looking at my P4C800-E, but I'd need the services of
> a good microscope to figure this one out. My eyes simply are not
> good enough to trace this, without pulling the motherboard from
> its case.
>
> For details on your Winbond W83627THF chip (I assume that is the
> chip), look for that part number on this page:
>
> http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/vi...
>
> Pins 102, 103, 104 on page 18, are where the thermal input signals go.
> On page 33, you can see how Rth is connected to pin 104, to allow
> monitoring system temperature. So, somewhere near that pin, expect
> to find the thermistor, and the 10K ohm resistor used to form
> a voltage divider. Asus should keep these parts close to the
> monitor chip, as if they are mounted far from the chip, noise
> will get added to the signal. So, best guess, the sensor is in
> the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Yup. That makes sense. One drive now slightly overhangs that area. So,
it's probably more of an air flow restriction than anything else. Not sure
what I'm going to do about it but at least I now know the approach.

Thanks,

Gert B. Frob, from New.......... Kansas
!