"Driver not intended for this platform" error

Here's my problem. I've had a 160GB HDD as a secondary
master on my P4 1.5ghz machine for quite a while running
smoothly (WinXP pro SP1). Yesterday it started working
slow, like twice slower than it should. It wasn't the
drive's problem - I've checked that by taking it out and
putting it into an external usb2 enclosure - the speed
was excellent. So I went into device manager and found
that this IDE channel was running in PIO mode when it was
set to DMA if available. Next I found this article:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
and did as it said, that is, uninstalled the secondary
IDE channel in device manager and restarted the computer.
Well, it went on reinstalling the channel along with the
HDD and the DVD drive I have on that channel as slave.
Then it finally said it couldn't install the driver for
the device it named "hdc" (hard drive controller?)
because "the driver was not intended for this platform".
In the Device Manager the secondary IDE channel now shows
as "unknown device" with an exclamation mark against it
and driver not installed. I tried directing it to search
for drivers in c:\windows\system32 manually but the
result was the same. The strange thing is that the HDD
and DVD drive are now working properly at the correct
speed so DMA seems to be working. But I just feel uneasy
about this exclamation point in the device manager. Is
there anything I should do here? Thanks a lot for any
help/advice.
Vasili
12 answers Last reply
More about driver intended platform error

    Download and install the chipset drivers for your motherboard from the
    motherboard manufacturer's website..
    www.coribright.com

    "Vasili" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's my problem. I've had a 160GB HDD as a secondary
    > master on my P4 1.5ghz machine for quite a while running
    > smoothly (WinXP pro SP1). Yesterday it started working
    > slow, like twice slower than it should. It wasn't the
    > drive's problem - I've checked that by taking it out and
    > putting it into an external usb2 enclosure - the speed
    > was excellent. So I went into device manager and found
    > that this IDE channel was running in PIO mode when it was
    > set to DMA if available. Next I found this article:
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
    > and did as it said, that is, uninstalled the secondary
    > IDE channel in device manager and restarted the computer.
    > Well, it went on reinstalling the channel along with the
    > HDD and the DVD drive I have on that channel as slave.
    > Then it finally said it couldn't install the driver for
    > the device it named "hdc" (hard drive controller?)
    > because "the driver was not intended for this platform".
    > In the Device Manager the secondary IDE channel now shows
    > as "unknown device" with an exclamation mark against it
    > and driver not installed. I tried directing it to search
    > for drivers in c:\windows\system32 manually but the
    > result was the same. The strange thing is that the HDD
    > and DVD drive are now working properly at the correct
    > speed so DMA seems to be working. But I just feel uneasy
    > about this exclamation point in the device manager. Is
    > there anything I should do here? Thanks a lot for any
    > help/advice.
    > Vasili

    Thanks for the advice but that didn't help. My
    motherboard has VIA chipset labeled P4VMM3 so I went to
    VIA's website and downloaded VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers
    v4.53 and after installing and restarting the result was
    just the same: driver not intended for this platform. :(

    Try this:
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Vasili wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice but that didn't help. My
    > motherboard has VIA chipset labeled P4VMM3 so I went to
    > VIA's website and downloaded VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers
    > v4.53 and after installing and restarting the result was
    > just the same: driver not intended for this platform. :(

    Yep, that's what I have tried already. I selected Windows
    XP then Chipset or Platform driver and got to the VIA
    Hyperion 4in1 v4.53

    (

    Bummer, did you try the older version?

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Vasili wrote:
    > Yep, that's what I have tried already. I selected Windows
    > XP then Chipset or Platform driver and got to the VIA
    > Hyperion 4in1 v4.53

    Yep, I just did - to the same result.
    I'm beginning to think only reinstalling WinXP will do
    the trick.

    Do you have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed on your system?

    > Yep, I just did - to the same result.
    > I'm beginning to think only reinstalling WinXP will do
    > the trick.

    Aha! Yes, I do have Alcohol 120%. Is it messing the whole
    thing up?

    I don't see why it would unless it tries to write its own atapi.sys file
    which is possible. Try uninstalling them and see if that helps. It may
    just be that part of the configuration on your computer for the
    installer VIA uses is messed up too. A clean install would fix it, but
    try uninstalling Alcohol 120% first and see if that helps :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Vasili wrote:
    > Aha! Yes, I do have Alcohol 120%. Is it messing the whole
    > thing up?

    Actually you can try...

    Going to your %windows%\system32\drivers folder and find atapi.sys; do a
    right click for properties. If it is seen as an MS file with version tabs
    etc then that is not the issue. However, if it does not have the MS ID then
    that is probably your issue.

    What can work is to of course delete Alcohol 120% or you can rename/cut and
    paste elsewhere the "bad" atapi.sys -> wait a few seconds -> windows should
    replace it with a copy of the genuine file from its backup. Right click ->
    Properties to confirm.

    Once you have a good atapi.sys file in the drivers folder you can go into
    device manager, delete the offending controller(s) and scan for new
    hardware. This should allow the system to install the proper devices. Even
    after uninstall of Alcohol 120% you may have to do this anyway. Also, do
    not restart the computer until after your device driver changes are
    successful. As long as Alcohol 120% is installed it will modify the
    atapi.sys file on start-up.

    Good Luck,
    Len

    > Aha! Yes, I do have Alcohol 120%. Is it messing the whole
    > thing up?

    Thanks! This solution worked brilliantly!
    I did not even have to delete Alcohol. Just renamed
    atapi.sys and it got replaced with the correct one.

    You're welcome!

    > Thanks! This solution worked brilliantly!
    > I did not even have to delete Alcohol. Just renamed
    > atapi.sys and it got replaced with the correct one.

Device Manager Hard Drives Windows XP