Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Clear Defrag History

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2011 1:09:07 AM

OK - really off the wall question.

Is there a way to clear the 'Last Run' date and % fragmented in Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7?

I've cleared the event viewer application and system log files and also completely disabled and reenabled the defrag service. I'm not sure what else to try.

I ran Analyze on my SSD (did not run defrag) to see what it would say. I just don't want that history showing it as fragmented. I understand it's a trivial complaint though, but don't like seeing it. That data has got to be saved somewhere in the OS and I want to blow it up!

Thanks

More about : clear defrag history

July 14, 2011 5:57:50 AM

bigdogchris said:

Is there a way to clear the 'Last Run' date and % fragmented in Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7?

I've cleared the event viewer application and system log files and also completely disabled and reenabled the defrag service. I'm not sure what else to try.

I ran Analyze on my SSD (did not run defrag) to see what it would say. I just don't want that history showing it as fragmented. I understand it's a trivial complaint though, but don't like seeing it. That data has got to be saved somewhere in the OS and I want to blow it up!

Thanks

You're right, this is an interesting, off-the-wall question!

I have no idea where that file is, but I do know that if you install a commercial defrqag program, most of them will replace the built-in defragmenter, deleting the history along the way (I'm 99% sure of that).

If you then remove the program, it will re-install the built-in with a fresh, new history log.

You could get a free trial of Diskeeper with the "HyperFast" option which is designed to optimize SSD drives.

SSDs don't benefit from a defrag as they are not mechanical and the data is stored and accessed differently (in fact, since they have a limited number of "writes" it's actually detrimental to defrag them).

SSDs do however lose performance over time because of FREE SPACE Fragmentation, so they need to be optimized to keep the free space accessible and the performance high, and that's what HyperFast does (here's some info on HyperFast:
http://www.diskeeper.com/products/affiliates/solid-stat....

You could get a free trial of Diskeeper with HyperFast and let it optimize your SSD as well as defrag your regular disk and see what you think of the difference in performance. If you decide to not keep it, your disk defrag history log will probably be wiped clean and your SSD will perform nicely till it gets "unoptimized" again.

Bill R TechSpec

Score

Best solution

March 3, 2012 10:16:58 AM

bigdogchris said:

Thanks

Hi,

Had the same question and found the answer. Probably too late, but thought I might share it.

The answer can be found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Works flawlessly.
Related resources
March 10, 2012 11:10:05 PM

Best answer selected by bigdogchris.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 6:30:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!