P2B - HD Question

I have a 60 Gig HD with Win XP Pro on it that I use with a P4B 2.5 Gig P4
machine. When I put this in my P2B 500 Meg machine it won't boot. I have
the latest bio and it's set to auto detect. Is XP machine sensitive?
Anybody got any suggestions to try?

Thanks
Crhoff

You CANNOT load XP on a computer with one motherboard and then move the
harddrive to another computer with a different model of motherboard and
expect it to boot.

--
DaveW

"Crhoff" <crh-nospam-off@downeast.net> wrote in message
>I have a 60 Gig HD with Win XP Pro on it that I use with a P4B 2.5 Gig P4
> machine. When I put this in my P2B 500 Meg machine it won't boot. I have
> the latest bio and it's set to auto detect. Is XP machine sensitive?
> Anybody got any suggestions to try?
>
> Thanks
> Crhoff

Thanks for all the info from those who answered. I never knew you couldn't
just move drives between machines.

"Crhoff" <crh-nospam-off@downeast.net> wrote in message
> I have a 60 Gig HD with Win XP Pro on it that I use with a P4B 2.5 Gig P4
> machine. When I put this in my P2B 500 Meg machine it won't boot. I have
> the latest bio and it's set to auto detect. Is XP machine sensitive?
> Anybody got any suggestions to try?
>
> Thanks
> Crhoff

Yes,

don,t forget the XP-CD.
Alternatively you could also use a Partition Manager.

Then booting from the OS-CD, installing .... voila. The HD should work.

Maybe you could also try a NTFS R/W program, make a bootdisk and remove
the P4.sys file with the p3.sys file.

O.K. just a joke. No, I think using a P4 XP installation with a P2/3
system is not easy to realize. I also tried a AMD Athlon installation
on a P3 and it wont boot.

Only solution I have in my Mind is: Making two Partitions on the HD.
One for P3 (C:) and one for P4 (D:)
When using the P3 install XP on C:
When using the P4, set the BIOS Boot drive to D: and boot.
!!! I would suggest first making the D: and then the C: ... I mean
leaving the C: Partition (physically at the beginning) free, Installing
with the P4 (BIOS set to D:) XP on D: (The system will it show as C:),
and then afterwards installing XP with the P3 on C: (BIOS on C:), or
vice versa.
I think when the C: drive is formatted when installing with the BIOS D:
trick, the XP kernel avoid the BIOS Settings as it is phisically on the
disk. So you should not format c: (just make a partition), just D:
should be formatted first, then installing OS with boot drive D: on.
Then format C: with the system you have now on D: (XP shows C:) change
the HD to the other PC, leave BIOS Boot on C: and install. with the
BootCD, off course.

Changing the BIOS to Boot D: will not make you, then, any problems in
the future. I think just the setup of XP changes the BIOS setting but
when it is fully installed you will not see a difference.

Maybe there a are more solutions, Boot Manager etc. etc,....

Good Luck!

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: Two small Boot Partitions (1-2GB each) should be enough, and the
rest of the platter (E: or F: and more) for both systems.

Crhoff wrote:
> I have a 60 Gig HD with Win XP Pro on it that I use with a P4B 2.5 Gig P4
> machine. When I put this in my P2B 500 Meg machine it won't boot. I have
> the latest bio and it's set to auto detect. Is XP machine sensitive?
> Anybody got any suggestions to try?

What do you mean with "won't boot"? Does the bios recognize the hd
correctly (you need iirc at least 1014 beta 1 bios for the p2b,
recommended is 1014 beta 3)?
When you simply get a "inaccessible boot device" that's because windows
xp is using the wrong ide driver, and it can't use a generic ide driver
as a fallback unfortunately (a design mistake imho, but that's another
topic, the only other criticial driver afaik is the graphic driver, but
this one has a generic vga fallback). There are articles out there how
you can repair that, iirc a repair installation will do the trick.

(Though from the description it sounds like you want to move the hd back
and forth between the boards - definitely not a good idea...)

Roland

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

It is a lot easier to move data drives, but windows OS drives are a no Go as
the others have indicated *unless* they are identical. The MAC address on
the NIC may mean you have to reactivate windows (unless it s a volume
license system) each time. I would expect MS would regard this as illegal as
you are effectively running 1 copy of an OS on 2 machines.