P5GPL slow opening apps XP sp2

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 7:51:42 PM

I just built this system. It has 2 Gig RAM P4 3.2 GHz. XP is low opening
apps and dialog boxes. It will sit for 5 sec. Processor shows no than 4%
activity during this time. Once in the app, it is very fast as a 3.2 GHz
machine should be. Apps are local on the machine. Even windows apps, such as
explorer open slow. Not sure what to check. Please help!

Thanks for any ideas. -S
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2005 9:19:15 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:51:42 -0400, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>I just built this system. It has 2 Gig RAM P4 3.2 GHz. XP is low opening
>apps and dialog boxes. It will sit for 5 sec. Processor shows no than 4%
>activity during this time. Once in the app, it is very fast as a 3.2 GHz
>machine should be. Apps are local on the machine. Even windows apps, such as
>explorer open slow. Not sure what to check. Please help!
>
>Thanks for any ideas. -S

Network up and running properly?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2005 11:15:56 AM

"SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> I just built this system. It has 2 Gig RAM P4 3.2 GHz. XP is low opening
> apps and dialog boxes. It will sit for 5 sec. Processor shows no than 4%
> activity during this time. Once in the app, it is very fast as a 3.2 GHz
> machine should be. Apps are local on the machine. Even windows apps, such
as
> explorer open slow. Not sure what to check. Please help!
>
> Thanks for any ideas. -S

I found the source of the trouble. It turns out to be AVG virus scanner. It
was not scanning at the time, but it was slowing the system down. I
uninstalled it for now and the system is fast. This is unusual as I never
had problems with AVG and never suspected it.

Anyone have an opinion of the Marvel Yukon NIC on this board? Seems okay so
far (machine only used 1/2 a day so far). I've used 3COM and Realtek in the
past.
Thanks. -S
July 13, 2005 9:54:41 PM

Have you done a spyware scan recently?

Incorrect IP configuration in the form of wrong Gateway and DNS addresses
can cause all sorts of slow down issues as the system tries to find things
in places that don't exist or are unreachable. This type of error tends to
effect programs that look at the network more often than programs that just
operate locally.

- Tim

!