MYSTERIOUS FILE(>1G) IN C:WINDOWS

September 10, 2004 4:02:30 PM

Nathan McNulty Wrote:
> How much memory do you have on your computer? I am going to take a
> guess at 1 GB. You may be looking at your hibernation file though I
> haven't seen it show up like that. It is also possible that it is
> your
> pagefile, though I haven't seen it show up like that either. These
> are
> both usually found in your C:\ directory. If you have done spyware
> and
> antivirus checks and the computer is running fine, I wouldn't worry
> about it.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> cooler wrote:-
> I just found out that the size of this file (named 652.) is exactly
> 1giga bytes (1,048,576 kB). This seems like that there is one routine
> having set the upper limit of its file size which is 1G.
>
> It is shown in win explorer that it is a hidden system file. If I try
> deleting the file, it says 'Cannot delete 652: It is being used by
> another person or program. Close any program that might be usingthe
> file and try again.'
>
> by using process explorer and finding the handle, found out that the
> 'System' process is using the file c:\windows\652. I could close the
> handle to this file.
>
> Sometimes XP can keep working without any problem. But this 1g file
> disappeared and the space it occupied were released. When I next time
> reboot the computer, this file appears again.
>
> Sometimes the computer would immediately reboot as soon as I close
> the
> handle to this file by using process explorer. After rebooting, this
> file is still sitting in c:\windows and still having the size of 1G!
>
> Help!
>
> -

Hey Nathan,
Problem solved.

IT IS the paging file though I still un-discovered why it had a such a
weird name but not normal pagefile.sys. Before I made any change, in my
XP control panel, I also found all the paging files for my 3 partitions
were disabled. After I enabled paging file for my C: partition and
using 'system managed size' and rebooted, pagefile.sys appeared in its
normal location: c:\ and this time I could delete c:\windows\652 !

I thought this weird paging file was set up by my previuosly used
optimizing freewares! I tried several of them before.

Thanks very much for ur kind help.

All the best!

--
cooler
Anonymous

Glad to hear what it was. Some systems are able to work without a
paging file, but if you don't have enough memory to do this, it seems
Windows automatically makes one anyways :(

----
Nathan McNulty

!