To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade Asus Boards??

AJ

Will I notice a drastic improvement in performance (see below) moving
from an:

1) Asus P4c800 DLX /Prescott P4 at 3.2E GHZ/ ATI Radeo 9800 Pro/
Raid 0 setup 2x 120 g S-ata Maxtor/1gig OCZ DDR
2) Asus P5ad2 Deluxe/300 gig hd/1 gig DDR2/ PCI Express (Ati or
Nvidia )?

I want to improve speed of video rendering/editing/some 3D gaming (ie
Far Cry & HL2) . I need the fastest machine and was recommended to go
the latter route above. Can somebody explain the benefits of this
upgrade or will I be disappointed? Comments?
Thanx AJ

Your second option there doesnt contain a specific cpu or a specific video
card so its awfully hard to tell.

"aj" <aj.brun@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Will I notice a drastic improvement in performance (see below) moving
> from an:
>
> 1) Asus P4c800 DLX /Prescott P4 at 3.2E GHZ/ ATI Radeo 9800 Pro/
> Raid 0 setup 2x 120 g S-ata Maxtor/1gig OCZ DDR
> 2) Asus P5ad2 Deluxe/300 gig hd/1 gig DDR2/ PCI Express (Ati or
> Nvidia )?
>
> I want to improve speed of video rendering/editing/some 3D gaming (ie
> Far Cry & HL2) . I need the fastest machine and was recommended to go
> the latter route above. Can somebody explain the benefits of this
> upgrade or will I be disappointed? Comments?
> Thanx AJ

Jody

Original Poster:

"Ted Lozenge" <tlozenge@calllozenge.com> wrote in message
> Your second option there doesnt contain a specific cpu or a specific video
> card so its awfully hard to tell.

My guess is he wants to keep the same cpu.
My advice would be to throw down the cash on the video card upgrade to
something $$$.
Chances are your video card is $100-150 jobbie.
You could up that with ease. Probably won't have much of an effect on your
video editing,
just your gaming.

I don't see upgrading a "P4 at 3.2E " really worth it. You can check out the
interactive cpu charts
at toms hardware for cpu comparisons in case you really need a cpu
improvement.

Maybe another stick of ram as well. Iffy.

jody

"Jody" <info@abaxcom.com> wrote in message
> Original Poster:
>>Will I notice a drastic improvement in performance (see below) moving
>>from an:
>
>>1) Asus P4c800 DLX /Prescott P4 at 3.2E GHZ/ ATI Radeo 9800 Pro/
>>Raid 0 setup 2x 120 g S-ata Maxtor/1gig OCZ DDR to 2) Asus P5ad2
>>Deluxe/300 gig hd/1 gig DDR2/ PCI Express (Ati or
>>Nvidi
>
> "Ted Lozenge" <tlozenge@calllozenge.com> wrote in message
>> Your second option there doesnt contain a specific cpu or a specific
>> video card so its awfully hard to tell.
>>

> My guess is he wants to keep the same cpu.
> My advice would be to throw down the cash on the video card upgrade to
> something $$$.
> Chances are your video card is $100-150 jobbie.
> You could up that with ease. Probably won't have much of an effect on your
> video editing,
> just your gaming.
>
> I don't see upgrading a "P4 at 3.2E " really worth it. You can check out
> the interactive cpu charts
> at toms hardware for cpu comparisons in case you really need a cpu
> improvement.
>
> Maybe another stick of ram as well. Iffy.
>

> jody

Well if he upgrades to that board he needs a new cpu because its a different
socket.. and he needs a new video card because it would be PCIe ..

AJ

found a great site---thanks for you replies.

http://216.92.52.205/index.html

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:07:59 -0400, "Ted Lozenge"
<tlozenge@calllozenge.com> wrote:

>"Jody" <info@abaxcom.com> wrote in message
>> Original Poster:
>>>Will I notice a drastic improvement in performance (see below) moving
>>>from an:
>>
>>>1) Asus P4c800 DLX /Prescott P4 at 3.2E GHZ/ ATI Radeo 9800 Pro/
>>>Raid 0 setup 2x 120 g S-ata Maxtor/1gig OCZ DDR to 2) Asus P5ad2
>>>Deluxe/300 gig hd/1 gig DDR2/ PCI Express (Ati or
>>>Nvidi
>>
>> "Ted Lozenge" <tlozenge@calllozenge.com> wrote in message
>>> Your second option there doesnt contain a specific cpu or a specific
>>> video card so its awfully hard to tell.
>>>

>> My guess is he wants to keep the same cpu.
>> My advice would be to throw down the cash on the video card upgrade to
>> something $$$.
>> Chances are your video card is $100-150 jobbie.
>> You could up that with ease. Probably won't have much of an effect on your
>> video editing,
>> just your gaming.
>>
>> I don't see upgrading a "P4 at 3.2E " really worth it. You can check out
>> the interactive cpu charts
>> at toms hardware for cpu comparisons in case you really need a cpu
>> improvement.
>>
>> Maybe another stick of ram as well. Iffy.
>>

>> jody
>>

>Well if he upgrades to that board he needs a new cpu because its a different
>socket.. and he needs a new video card because it would be PCIe ..

roberts

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

"" wrote:
> Will I notice a drastic improvement in performance (see below)
> moving
> from an:
>
> 1) Asus P4c800 DLX /Prescott P4 at 3.2E GHZ/ ATI Radeo 9800
> Pro/
> Raid 0 setup 2x 120 g S-ata Maxtor/1gig OCZ DDR
> 2) Asus P5ad2 Deluxe/300 gig hd/1 gig DDR2/ PCI Express (Ati
> or
> Nvidia )?
>
> I want to improve speed of video rendering/editing/some 3D
> gaming (ie
> Far Cry & HL2) . I need the fastest machine and was
> recommended to go
> the latter route above. Can somebody explain the benefits of
> this
> upgrade or will I be disappointed? Comments?
> Thanx AJ

Well you will have faster CPU options--660s are great OCrs, and a 7800
or 850 video card would be a vast improvment.

I have two p5p800s, thay use the 775 CPUs, but still use AGP 8x and
DDR.

DDR2 is getting better and PCIex is too. If you want to stay up with
Intel, a 955 board is a good upgrade. The N-Force SLIs don’t OC well
I hear.

And who knows what chipsets the Presler/Cedar mills will work

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Upgrade-Upgrade-Boards-ftopict58862.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300641