Flash Disk doesn't appear as a removable device

I have a USB Flash Disk (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 128mb USB
2.0 - compatible with USB 1.1) that does not appear in
the list of removable devices when connected to the PC.
My Windows XP Pro has been updated for the latest drivers
(windowsupdate.com). When I insert the device,
the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon appears in the system
tray, so Windows does recognize the flash drive. It just
won't let me use it since it won't appear as a usable
device. Anyone have any clue what is wrong here?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about flash disk doesn removable device

    See if this helps. Right on My Computer , then click on manage, then
    I think it is either "Storage Device" or the Removebal Device. What
    you want to do is make sure that the drive letter for the Flash Disk
    is correct. You can actually set it by right clicking on the device
    in the right panel and then change the drive letter to what you want.
    Also you can go to the help and enter drive letters and that will also
    tell you how to change the letter. My reason for being a little hazy
    is I am on a Win 98 right now and doing this from the gray matter.
    Let us know how you make out.

    Dan (Still going in circles)
    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:54:57 -0700, "JD"

    >I have a USB Flash Disk (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 128mb USB
    >2.0 - compatible with USB 1.1) that does not appear in
    >the list of removable devices when connected to the PC.
    >My Windows XP Pro has been updated for the latest drivers
    >(windowsupdate.com). When I insert the device,
    >the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon appears in the system
    >tray, so Windows does recognize the flash drive. It just
    >won't let me use it since it won't appear as a usable
    >device. Anyone have any clue what is wrong here?
    >
    >Thanks

Hardware Devices Windows XP