I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless connections,
and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all the
wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not access
the wired computer from the wireless.

All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the same
workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I get
an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
have permissions. Network path not found.

I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also run
the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from the
XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how do
I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?

Thanks,
David
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless access wired wired access wireless

    Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see if
    you can access it.

    Carey

    "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
    >connections,
    > and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
    > computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
    > the
    > wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
    > access
    > the wired computer from the wireless.
    >
    > All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
    > XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
    > same
    > workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
    > get
    > an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
    > have permissions. Network path not found.
    >
    > I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
    > run
    > the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
    > have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from
    > the
    > XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how
    > do
    > I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
    rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
    machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.

    David

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see if
    > you can access it.
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
    > >connections,
    > > and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
    > > computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
    > > the
    > > wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
    > > access
    > > the wired computer from the wireless.
    > >
    > > All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
    > > XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
    > > same
    > > workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
    > > get
    > > an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
    > > permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
    > > have permissions. Network path not found.
    > >
    > > I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
    > > run
    > > the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
    > > have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from
    > > the
    > > XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how
    > > do
    > > I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David

    Try these trouble-shooting steps:
    http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr

    > That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
    > rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
    > machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see
    >> if
    >> you can access it.
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
    >> >connections,
    >> > and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a
    >> > wired
    >> > computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
    >> > the
    >> > wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
    >> > access
    >> > the wired computer from the wireless.
    >> >
    >> > All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is
    >> > an
    >> > XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
    >> > same
    >> > workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
    >> > get
    >> > an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not
    >> > have
    >> > permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if
    >> > you
    >> > have permissions. Network path not found.
    >> >
    >> > I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
    >> > run
    >> > the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the
    >> > network, I
    >> > have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc
    >> > from
    >> > the
    >> > XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And
    >> > how
    >> > do
    >> > I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > David

    Thanks Carey! The problem was the Macafee personal firewall.

    David

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > Try these trouble-shooting steps:
    > http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
    > > rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
    > > machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.
    > >
    > > David
    > >
    > > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see
    > >> if
    > >> you can access it.
    > >>
    > >> Carey
    > >>
    > >> "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Glad to hear you got it figured out. Please sign my guestbook at
    www.careyholzman.com (the link is in the lower-left corner).

    > Thanks Carey! The problem was the Macafee personal firewall.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> Try these trouble-shooting steps:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
    >> > rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
    >> > machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.
    >> >
    >> > David

Wireless Computers Wireless Networking