Terrible sound

Hi all,
I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my Boston
Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them with
Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or MIDI
file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is what I
primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the most
up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's also
sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to do to
correct this? Reply directly if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:15:27 -0500, Jim Ludwig
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my Boston
> Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them with
> Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
> some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or MIDI
> file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is what I
> primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the most
> up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
> thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's also
> sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to do to
> correct this? Reply directly if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

What might have really "blown" is your sound card. Can you swap in
another one temporarily to see if it makes a difference?

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

peter

Hi,

Either your sound card is faulty or the sound drivers were improperly
installed.
I would suggest you to remove all the creative sound drivers and then
uninstall the sound blaster Live from the device manager. Reboot the PC and
then re-install the latest XP comptible drivers for the sound card.
If the symptom persists, the sound card may be faulty. Get a new sound card
like the Creative Audigy series. The price is cheap today and it sounds much
better than the Blaster Live series.

Peter

"Jim Ludwig" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my Boston
> Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them with
> Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
> some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or MIDI
> file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is what I
> primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the most
> up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
> thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's also
> sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to do to
> correct this? Reply directly if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Peter,
I am thinking about getting the Audigy card because I've tried everything
that has been suggested to me. I notice that the Audigy card is 5.1, 6.1 or
7.1 capable. However, I only have a 2.1 speaker setup. Will my 2.1 setup
work with the Audigy or do I have to buy a 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks again,
Jim

> Hi,
>
> Either your sound card is faulty or the sound drivers were improperly
> installed.
> I would suggest you to remove all the creative sound drivers and then
> uninstall the sound blaster Live from the device manager. Reboot the PC
and
> then re-install the latest XP comptible drivers for the sound card.
> If the symptom persists, the sound card may be faulty. Get a new sound
card
> like the Creative Audigy series. The price is cheap today and it sounds
much
> better than the Blaster Live series.
>
> Peter
>

> "Jim Ludwig" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my
Boston
> > Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them
with
> > Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
> > some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or
MIDI
> > file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is
what I
> > primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the
most
> > up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
> > thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's
also
> > sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to
do to
> > correct this? Reply directly if possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

I'm actually beginning to suspect that this is the problem.

Thanks,
Jim

"Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
> Sometime on, or about Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:15:27 -0500, Jim Ludwig
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my
Boston
> > Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them
with
> > Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
> > some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or
MIDI
> > file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is
what I
> > primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the
most
> > up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
> > thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's
also
> > sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to
do to
> > correct this? Reply directly if possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
>
> What might have really "blown" is your sound card. Can you swap in
> another one temporarily to see if it makes a difference?
>
> Sam
> --
> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:40:22 -0500, Jim Ludwig
wrote:

> I'm actually beginning to suspect that this is the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
>> Sometime on, or about Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:15:27 -0500, Jim Ludwig
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm having a peculiar problem with my computer. Recently, I blew my
> Boston
>>> Accoustics speakers somehow (I don't play them loud) and replaced them
> with
>>> Creative I-trigue speakers. The new speakers sound terrible too. After
>>> some experimenting, I found that they sound fine when playing a WAV or
> MIDI
>>> file, but they sound terrible when playing WMA or MP3 songs, which is
> what I
>>> primarily listen too. I have a Soundblaster Live! sound card with the
> most
>>> up to date driver. I plugged my old speakers back in and found the same
>>> thing, so they weren't blown at all. Listening to regular music cd's
> also
>>> sounds terrible. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I need to
> do to
>>> correct this? Reply directly if possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>
>> What might have really "blown" is your sound card. Can you swap in
>> another one temporarily to see if it makes a difference?
>>
>> Sam
>> --
>> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

If your motherboard has onboard sound, you may want to try enabling
that and taking out your existing sound card. You can at least verify
that it's the sound card that way.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first