Renee

My old motherboard went belly up and I am moving all my
components to a new barebone. After installing
everything, I just get a flashing cursor when it is
trying to load XP. Can't I just move the drive to the
new computer? Is there something special that I need to
do??

Thanks for your help

Renee

Hello

You can not do that, and your best option is to reload win but
first backup your data and see link below.

Do a repair install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Alvin

Renee wrote:

> My old motherboard went belly up and I am moving all my
> components to a new barebone. After installing
> everything, I just get a flashing cursor when it is
> trying to load XP. Can't I just move the drive to the
> new computer? Is there something special that I need to
> do??
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Renee

Renee

I would love to backup my data but unfortunately my old machine is dead and
I cannot get the drive up. That is why I purchased new hardware. I guess I
will just have to take the chance with the Repair Install and hope I can
still get to my data.

Thanks. Renee

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> You can not do that, and your best option is to reload win but
> first backup your data and see link below.
>
> Do a repair install

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

> Alvin
>

> Renee wrote:
>
> > My old motherboard went belly up and I am moving all my
> > components to a new barebone. After installing
> > everything, I just get a flashing cursor when it is
> > trying to load XP. Can't I just move the drive to the
> > new computer? Is there something special that I need to
> > do??
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Renee

bar

You must perform a Repair Install to SET XP to a New Motherboard. This is
part of the anti-piracy features included by Microsoft to protect their
intellectual property: rightly so.

BE WARNED:
This can only be successful if you do not have an OEM version of XP! SO if
your original XP was installed on a new PC from Dell, IBM, HP etc you will
need to buy a retail version of XP [an upgrade edition is OK]. It is contrary
to the terms of the EULA to upgrade the motherboard [move your hard drive]
with the OEM versions. Indeed some manufacturers even include extra 'checks'
to ensure that it turns off the PC if it attempted to be installed on
another product or model type.

1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and make sure
booting from CD is the first boot option. Booting into Windows is only an
option when you do a direct replacement of the Motherboard, otherwise it is
like playing Russian Roulette.
2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.