P4R800-V Deluxe - CPU Overheating

The Intel 2.8Gig CPU on my P4R800-V Deluxe has been seriously
overheating of late. It actually got to 82°C and spent about a
week radomly shuting down before I twigged that it was an
overheating issue. I immediately cleaned the inside of the
case and the extra case fans. I have been able to drop the CPU
temp to between 72°C and 76°C depending on load (monitoring
the CPU temp with ASUS Probe). The apparent random shutting
down has stopped but after doing some research I've discovered
that the optimum operating temperature for my 2.8Gig Prescott
is in the middle 40's to the middle 50's celsius! This led me
to do a really intensive cleanup involving dismantaling the
case, hand cleaning the case fans and the CPU fan (but not
removing it from the heatsink). Bottom line is I reduced the
temperature a further 10 or so degrees to a idle temp of 61°C
in an ambient temperature of 26°C. A vast improvement but not
good enough.

QUESTION: I'd like to get the temp down another 10°C or so and
want to add an after-market heatsink and fan for my CPU. I'm
looking at purchasing a 'Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
CNPS7000B-AlCu' and I'd appreciate it if the group members
would comment on this choice.

QUESTION: I'd also appreciate comments on whether or not there
will be a temperature advantage by replacing the OE
Northbridge Heatsink on the P4R800-V Deluxe with a 'Zalman
Northbridge Heatsink ZM-NB47J'?

Hardware Specifics:

- Case is a 24" tower (side covers always on and unused PCI
slots covered)
- Intel 2.8G CPU (Intel OE heat sink and fan combo)
- Case fans include two (2) which draw out air to the rear of
the case and a single fan drawing air in from the lower front
of the case.
- Power Supply is 400W and of course has its own fan
- I have two SATA drives in removable cases that have their
own 1" fans at the rear.
- I also have three (3) drives mounted internally
- One (1) DVD Burner (IDE)
- One (1) CD Burner (SCSI)(this will be removed soon)

TIA and peace

Milos
8 answers Last reply
More about p4r800 deluxe overheating

    82 CELCIUS!!!! wow you really need to do some cooling work
    First off, I have an asus with a 2.8 as well, and I reccomend that you
    buy a COPPER heatsink, a powerful fan for it, and some artic silver
    thermal paste. Under zero load my computer runs at 35 celsius and under
    extreme load it runs at approximately 45 celcius. For the northbridge
    question....Touch the heatsink..does it feel incredibly hot? if so,
    then do replace it, again preferably with something copper and good
    thermal paste.
    Additionally try to add some more fans where ever you have spots for
    them, the higher the CFM the better. Look into PCI slot fans too.
    Good luck and email me if you have any questions.

    Milos Pedersen III wrote:
    > The Intel 2.8Gig CPU on my P4R800-V Deluxe has been seriously
    > overheating of late. It actually got to 82°C and spent about a
    > week radomly shuting down before I twigged that it was an
    > overheating issue. I immediately cleaned the inside of the
    > case and the extra case fans. I have been able to drop the CPU
    > temp to between 72°C and 76°C depending on load (monitoring
    > the CPU temp with ASUS Probe). The apparent random shutting
    > down has stopped but after doing some research I've discovered
    > that the optimum operating temperature for my 2.8Gig Prescott
    > is in the middle 40's to the middle 50's celsius! This led me
    > to do a really intensive cleanup involving dismantaling the
    > case, hand cleaning the case fans and the CPU fan (but not
    > removing it from the heatsink). Bottom line is I reduced the
    > temperature a further 10 or so degrees to a idle temp of 61°C
    > in an ambient temperature of 26°C. A vast improvement but not
    > good enough.
    >
    > QUESTION: I'd like to get the temp down another 10°C or so and
    > want to add an after-market heatsink and fan for my CPU. I'm
    > looking at purchasing a 'Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    > CNPS7000B-AlCu' and I'd appreciate it if the group members
    > would comment on this choice.
    >
    > QUESTION: I'd also appreciate comments on whether or not there
    > will be a temperature advantage by replacing the OE
    > Northbridge Heatsink on the P4R800-V Deluxe with a 'Zalman
    > Northbridge Heatsink ZM-NB47J'?
    >
    > Hardware Specifics:
    >
    > - Case is a 24" tower (side covers always on and unused PCI
    > slots covered)
    > - Intel 2.8G CPU (Intel OE heat sink and fan combo)
    > - Case fans include two (2) which draw out air to the rear of
    > the case and a single fan drawing air in from the lower front
    > of the case.
    > - Power Supply is 400W and of course has its own fan
    > - I have two SATA drives in removable cases that have their
    > own 1" fans at the rear.
    > - I also have three (3) drives mounted internally
    > - One (1) DVD Burner (IDE)
    > - One (1) CD Burner (SCSI)(this will be removed soon)
    >
    > TIA and peace
    >
    > Milos

    How much clearance is there between the CPU heatsink and the power
    supply? I had similar problems with a P5P800 where my case had less
    than an inch of clearance between the two. I could feel the power
    supply heating up. Replacing the case with a better case with better
    cooling dropped the temperature of my 3.4 GHz Prescott to around 40
    degrees or less at idle.
    Another thing to look at is the temperature monitoring program. Probe
    was showing very high temperatures on my P4T-E with a 2.0 GHz Northwood
    but the exhaust air was cool. Using Motherboard Monitor showed my
    temperatures to be under 40 degrees, a difference of almost 20 degrees.

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:35:11 GMT, Milos Pedersen III <Me@me.com> wrote:

    >The Intel 2.8Gig CPU on my P4R800-V Deluxe has been seriously
    >overheating of late. It actually got to 82°C and spent about a
    >week radomly shuting down before I twigged that it was an
    >overheating issue. I immediately cleaned the inside of the
    >case and the extra case fans. I have been able to drop the CPU
    >temp to between 72°C and 76°C depending on load (monitoring

    <snip>

    Way too hot.

    I run an Intel P4 2.8 GHz chip on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard. It is overclocked 10%, runs 2 gig of
    memory, has 3 hard drives and a DVD drive, SCSI card, extra network card, capture card, SB Audigy sound card
    and a 400W PSU. The case it is in makes things a tight squeeze (an old Aopen desktop case). There is an
    extra cooling fan at the front of the case and a "sideways" cooling fan next to the gfx card that extracts
    heat via an expansion slot.

    I run the standard Intel heatsink but removed the Intel supplied thermal pad and used Arctic Silver 5.

    That computer has been running all day today capturing video and the CPU temp is 32 C, M/B temp is 33 C.
    Ambient room temperature here is a little cool at 17 C. Even in summer the CPU temp rarely exceeds 42 C.

    I would suggest that you might have a bit of grit on top of the CPU. This would prevent the heatsink making
    effective contact with the CPU housing. I would suggest you remove the heatsink, clean off any thermal
    pad/thermal compound there and use some Arctic Silver. Follow the instructions at:-

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

    And all will be well. ;-)

    "Paragon" <CrazyDrummer@gmail.com> wrote in

    > 82 CELCIUS!!!! wow you really need to do some cooling work
    > First off, I have an asus with a 2.8 as well, and I
    > reccomend that you buy a COPPER heatsink, a powerful fan
    > for it, and some artic silver thermal paste. Under zero
    > load my computer runs at 35 celsius and under extreme load
    > it runs at approximately 45 celcius. For the northbridge
    > question....Touch the heatsink..does it feel incredibly
    > hot? if so, then do replace it, again preferably with
    > something copper and good thermal paste.
    > Additionally try to add some more fans where ever you have
    > spots for them, the higher the CFM the better. Look into
    > PCI slot fans too. Good luck and email me if you have any
    > questions.

    Thanks for the reply. Your 35°C to 45°C range is just amazing!

    - I've read that an all copper heatsink is too heavy for the
    P4 mount and can cause damage. Any truth to this? I know that
    it is recommended that you remove an all copper heatsink if
    you're going to be moving your computer but I'm worried that
    there could be damage if the case is bumped accidently with a
    knee or the like.

    - the Northbridge heatsink is pretty warm, bordering on hot. I
    can't hold my finger there for any length of time ... for
    $10.00cdn I'm going to replace it.

    - I've got 3 (80mm) case fans installed already. One drawing
    cool air from the front of the case and two at the rear of the
    case drawing air out. I'm going to replace my current case
    fans with AcoustiFan™ products.

    Thanks for the input and giving me a temperature goal ...

    peace

    milos

    "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

    > How much clearance is there between the CPU heatsink and
    > the power supply?

    Just checked and my CPU fan/heatsink is only about an inch to
    and inch and a half from the bottom of my 330W power supply

    >I had similar problems with a P5P800
    > where my case had less than an inch of clearance between
    > the two. I could feel the power supply heating up.
    > Replacing the case with a better case with better cooling
    > dropped the temperature of my 3.4 GHz Prescott to around 40
    > degrees or less at idle.

    Impressive idle temp!

    > Another thing to look at is the temperature monitoring
    > program. Probe was showing very high temperatures on my
    > P4T-E with a 2.0 GHz Northwood but the exhaust air was
    > cool.

    ASUS Probe is within a degree of what my BIOS is reporting. I'm
    using ASUS Probe v2.24.10

    >Using Motherboard Monitor showed my temperatures to
    > be under 40 degrees, a difference of almost 20 degrees.
    I tried to install Motherboard Monitor but unfortunately the
    P4R800-V Deluxe isn't supported.

    thanks for your input and recommendations ...

    peace

    milos

    Old Bugger <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in

    > Way too hot.
    >
    > I run an Intel P4 2.8 GHz chip on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    > motherboard. It is overclocked 10%, runs 2 gig of memory,
    > has 3 hard drives and a DVD drive, SCSI card, extra network
    > card, capture card, SB Audigy sound card and a 400W PSU.
    > The case it is in makes things a tight squeeze (an old
    > Aopen desktop case). There is an extra cooling fan at the
    > front of the case and a "sideways" cooling fan next to the
    > gfx card that extracts heat via an expansion slot.
    >
    > I run the standard Intel heatsink but removed the Intel
    > supplied thermal pad and used Arctic Silver 5.

    I'll remove the pad and use AS5

    > That computer has been running all day today capturing
    > video and the CPU temp is 32 C, M/B temp is 33 C. Ambient
    > room temperature here is a little cool at 17 C. Even in
    > summer the CPU temp rarely exceeds 42 C.

    If you can get these low temps within a tight space, lotsa
    heat generating hardware and running a load means I really
    need to address this problem.

    > I would suggest that you might have a bit of grit on top of
    > the CPU. This would prevent the heatsink making effective
    > contact with the CPU housing. I would suggest you remove
    > the heatsink, clean off any thermal pad/thermal compound
    > there and use some Arctic Silver. Follow the instructions
    > at:-

    I agree that there must be a seating problem with the CPU
    heatsink as these temps I'm running are way out order. I'm
    planning to replace the OEM Intel fan/heatsing with a ALCU
    Zalman 7000B ...

    > http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
    >
    > And all will be well. ;-)

    Thanks so much for your input ...

    peace

    milos

    Milos Pedersen III wrote:
    > Old Bugger <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Way too hot.
    >>
    >>I run an Intel P4 2.8 GHz chip on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    >>motherboard. It is overclocked 10%, runs 2 gig of memory,
    >>has 3 hard drives and a DVD drive, SCSI card, extra network
    >>card, capture card, SB Audigy sound card and a 400W PSU.
    >>The case it is in makes things a tight squeeze (an old
    >>Aopen desktop case). There is an extra cooling fan at the
    >>front of the case and a "sideways" cooling fan next to the
    >>gfx card that extracts heat via an expansion slot.
    >>
    >>I run the standard Intel heatsink but removed the Intel
    >>supplied thermal pad and used Arctic Silver 5.
    >

    > I'll remove the pad and use AS5
    >

    >>That computer has been running all day today capturing
    >>video and the CPU temp is 32 C, M/B temp is 33 C. Ambient
    >>room temperature here is a little cool at 17 C. Even in
    >>summer the CPU temp rarely exceeds 42 C.
    >

    > If you can get these low temps within a tight space, lotsa
    > heat generating hardware and running a load means I really
    > need to address this problem.
    >

    >>I would suggest that you might have a bit of grit on top of
    >>the CPU. This would prevent the heatsink making effective
    >>contact with the CPU housing. I would suggest you remove
    >>the heatsink, clean off any thermal pad/thermal compound
    >>there and use some Arctic Silver. Follow the instructions
    >>at:-
    >

    > I agree that there must be a seating problem with the CPU
    > heatsink as these temps I'm running are way out order. I'm
    > planning to replace the OEM Intel fan/heatsing with a ALCU
    > Zalman 7000B ...

    That may be a good idea as part of the problem I had with my P4T-E after
    removing it from one case and moving it to a different one is that part
    of the original plastic retention mechanism wouldn't latch down
    correctly. This left only half the heatsink contacting the CPU and my
    temperatures were over 60 degrees at idle. Replacing it with a new
    heatsink with a better retention mechanism dropped the temperatures back
    to where they should have been.

    Milos Pedersen III <Me@me.com> wrote in

    > The Intel 2.8Gig CPU on my P4R800-V Deluxe has been
    > seriously overheating of late. It actually got to 82°C and
    > spent about a week radomly shuting down before I twigged
    > that it was an overheating issue.

    >SNIP<

    Just a quick update ...

    I completely tore down my box (removed MB from case) and
    thoroughly cleaned it including case and cpu fans (including the
    blades), dismantled CPU heatsink/fan and cleaned contact area
    with isopropyl alcohol, removed and cleaned CPU contact area
    again using isopropyl alcohol. I then applied Arctic Silver 5 as
    recommended and reassembled everything.

    The CPU temp range is now 48-9°C @ idle and 56-8°C under heavy
    load. Not ideal but a serious improvement from where I was five
    days ago!!!

    I'm amazed by what a thorough cleaning will accomplish and what
    a detrimental effect dust and dirt can have in terms of
    temperature.

    Now that I'm in a more normal temperature range I can add quiet
    case fans and the 'Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    CNPS7000B-AlCu' at my leisure.

    Thanks again

    peace

    milos