insufficient program memory

June 29, 2004 2:47:12 PM

Hi,
I have an Ipaq 2210. It's giving the error message : "Insufficient
program memory" when I want to launch some buit-in applications like
calendar, Tasks. For other installed applications it work fine. I
check in the memory configuration panel, the system still has enough
memory to work : 19M for storage and 14M for programs.
I tried to reset the ipaq but with no results.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Karim
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 29, 2004 6:28:16 PM

"Karim" <elmkarim@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Any suggestions ?

You may want to try adjusting the memory/storage slider to give your device
more RAM and see if that makes a difference.

--
Ethan Crawford [MSFT]
Mobile Devices Product Group

Have you installed any additional applications into main memory which you
can
remove, or store onto a SD card.

Karim wrote:
|| Hi,
|| I have an Ipaq 2210. It's giving the error message : "Insufficient
|| program memory" when I want to launch some buit-in applications like
|| calendar, Tasks. For other installed applications it work fine. I
|| check in the memory configuration panel, the system still has enough
|| memory to work : 19M for storage and 14M for programs.
|| I tried to reset the ipaq but with no results.
|| Any suggestions ?
|| Thanks.
|| Karim
a b } Memory
June 30, 2004 4:01:41 PM

You need to understand the way your IPAQ manages its memory:

The total memory available (around 54MB) is divided between Storage Memory
and Program Memory. The first is used to save data and programs, like a
disk. The second is the memory which is active for running the programs.

In the beginning, the division is right in the middle, but if you install
too much software the area available for programs will go and get smaller,
until you have no place for running large programs.

That said, you should check:

1. The division of the memory in Settings|System|Memory
2. In case your Storage Memory is too full and you have no more space for
program running, begin uninstalling software until you get to an acceptable
memory status.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Karim" <elmkarim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an Ipaq 2210. It's giving the error message : "Insufficient
> program memory" when I want to launch some buit-in applications like
> calendar, Tasks. For other installed applications it work fine. I
> check in the memory configuration panel, the system still has enough
> memory to work : 19M for storage and 14M for programs.
> I tried to reset the ipaq but with no results.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thanks.
>
> Karim
June 30, 2004 6:39:40 PM

Hi,
Thanks all for your suggestions. In fact, I installed some programs in
my ipaq (games, ...), but this didn't take a lot of space. Anyway, I
uninstalled all additional software, I verified also the memory slider
: it's in the middle and I have 17MB free for program memory and the
same for storage. Even with this, I've still the same error message :
"insufficient program memory".

This happened for me once, and the only solution was to do a harware
reset (two buttons with the soft reset together) and I synchronized
all again from my laptop.

Just for information, I can run Nevo, calculator, BlueTooth manager
I can't run : Pocket word, Excel, ActiveSync, File Explorer, Tasks,
Calendar, Contacts (the error message pops for the last 3 programs)

Karim

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote in message news:<#snmhCoXEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> You need to understand the way your IPAQ manages its memory:
>
> The total memory available (around 54MB) is divided between Storage Memory
> and Program Memory. The first is used to save data and programs, like a
> disk. The second is the memory which is active for running the programs.
>
> In the beginning, the division is right in the middle, but if you install
> too much software the area available for programs will go and get smaller,
> until you have no place for running large programs.
>
> That said, you should check:
>
> 1. The division of the memory in Settings|System|Memory
> 2. In case your Storage Memory is too full and you have no more space for
> program running, begin uninstalling software until you get to an acceptable
> memory status.
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Karim" <elmkarim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have an Ipaq 2210. It's giving the error message : "Insufficient
> > program memory" when I want to launch some buit-in applications like
> > calendar, Tasks. For other installed applications it work fine. I
> > check in the memory configuration panel, the system still has enough
> > memory to work : 19M for storage and 14M for programs.
> > I tried to reset the ipaq but with no results.
> > Any suggestions ?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Karim
June 30, 2004 8:20:23 PM

Karim wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an Ipaq 2210. It's giving the error message : "Insufficient
> program memory" when I want to launch some buit-in applications like
> calendar, Tasks. For other installed applications it work fine. I
> check in the memory configuration panel, the system still has enough
> memory to work : 19M for storage and 14M for programs.
> I tried to reset the ipaq but with no results.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thanks.

14MB for programs should be enough. How much of that is grayed out (in use)?

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Did you try moving the slider to give more memory for your programs and less
for storage? You could try going to 30Mb for program memory. If there are
still problems then try a soft reset.

!