Asus K8N-E Deluxe - Cool'n'Quiet and 2 x DIMMS

I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?

ss.
4 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe cool quiet dimms

    "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message

    > I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
    > motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
    > 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
    >
    > ss.
    Don't know about the K8N-E, but there is no problem with the A8N-E PCI-e NF4
    board running two DIMMS with Cool n Quiet. I have heard about problems with
    4 DIMMS, but not 2. But I think the problem was "mostly" fixed with the
    Venice core AMD CPU's.

    The "problem" only occurs with certain motherboards when all four slots are
    populated. The speed will drop from 400 to 333. There has never been any
    problem running any motherboard with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMS.

    Bobby

    "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with
    >> some motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get
    >> another 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
    >>
    >> ss.
    > Don't know about the K8N-E, but there is no problem with the A8N-E PCI-e
    > NF4 board running two DIMMS with Cool n Quiet. I have heard about problems
    > with 4 DIMMS, but not 2. But I think the problem was "mostly" fixed with
    > the Venice core AMD CPU's.

    "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message

    > I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
    > motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
    > 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
    >
    > ss.

    Well, I think you really can't be sure before you try it out. If you can
    borrow that additional stick before you buy it, or try it in the shop, don't
    hesitate to do so. Some people have problems with that issue, some don't,
    and it also depends on what type of RAM you have. I have 2 Kingmax 512mb
    modules and immediatlely after I turn C'n'Q on, my system locks up. The
    problem doesn't occur with just one stick. Both sticks function properly
    without C'n'Q.

    On the other hand, if you can't try the module out before buying and you get
    struck by that problem, I suggest you turn off C'n'Q and enable Q-fan
    function. On my sistem, fan noise is minimal and the heat levels are well
    within safe operating limits.

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:01:25 GMT, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >The "problem" only occurs with certain motherboards when all four slots are
    >populated. The speed will drop from 400 to 333. There has never been any
    >problem running any motherboard with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMS.

    The bus speed can drop when you go to 3 sticks. This drop is related to
    the fact the the 754 package only provides 6 clock pairs, with each DIMM
    requiring 3 clock pairs. When you put in the third DIMM an external
    clock buffer is recommended and while DIMM1 gets its own address and
    command pins, DIMM2 and 3 must share the second one.

    Also, it has been documented that the use of Pstate transistions
    (basically Cool'nQuiet) can result in unpredictable results when 3 DIMMs
    are used.

    On the K8NE, the owners manual, specifies that the max speed for

    1 DIMM - DDR400.
    2 DIMMs - DDR400 as long DIMM1 is filled.
    3 DIMMs - DDR333 if all single sided DIMMS or
    the combination of Double/Single/Double are used
    - DDR200 for any other combination.
    (note: Double here is double sided, not dual channel).

    Lastly, there is an approved list of DIMMs that can be used.

    See page 2-12 in
    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N-E_DX/e1883_k8n-e_deluxe.pdf

    There is supposed to be an updated list on the ASUS site, but I haven't
    found it.

Asus Motherboards