Asus K8N-E Deluxe - Cool'n'Quiet and 2 x DIMMS

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 9:23:40 AM

I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?

ss.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 9:23:41 AM

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message
news:D b7h8r$9uf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
> motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
> 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
>
> ss.
Don't know about the K8N-E, but there is no problem with the A8N-E PCI-e NF4
board running two DIMMS with Cool n Quiet. I have heard about problems with
4 DIMMS, but not 2. But I think the problem was "mostly" fixed with the
Venice core AMD CPU's.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 11:01:25 AM

The "problem" only occurs with certain motherboards when all four slots are
populated. The speed will drop from 400 to 333. There has never been any
problem running any motherboard with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMS.

Bobby

"Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message
> news:D b7h8r$9uf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>
>> I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with
>> some motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get
>> another 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
>>
>> ss.
> Don't know about the K8N-E, but there is no problem with the A8N-E PCI-e
> NF4 board running two DIMMS with Cool n Quiet. I have heard about problems
> with 4 DIMMS, but not 2. But I think the problem was "mostly" fixed with
> the Venice core AMD CPU's.

a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2005 11:28:25 PM

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.warpmail.net> wrote in message
news:D b7h8r$9uf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> I have a Asus K8N-E Deluxe. I've heard that there can be issues with some
> motherboards when using Cool'n'Quiet with 2 x DIMMs. So if I get another
> 1GB stick, would this be the case with my motherboard?
>
> ss.

Well, I think you really can't be sure before you try it out. If you can
borrow that additional stick before you buy it, or try it in the shop, don't
hesitate to do so. Some people have problems with that issue, some don't,
and it also depends on what type of RAM you have. I have 2 Kingmax 512mb
modules and immediatlely after I turn C'n'Q on, my system locks up. The
problem doesn't occur with just one stick. Both sticks function properly
without C'n'Q.

On the other hand, if you can't try the module out before buying and you get
struck by that problem, I suggest you turn off C'n'Q and enable Q-fan
function. On my sistem, fan noise is minimal and the heat levels are well
within safe operating limits.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 9:42:42 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:01:25 GMT, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net>
wrote:

>The "problem" only occurs with certain motherboards when all four slots are
>populated. The speed will drop from 400 to 333. There has never been any
>problem running any motherboard with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMS.

The bus speed can drop when you go to 3 sticks. This drop is related to
the fact the the 754 package only provides 6 clock pairs, with each DIMM
requiring 3 clock pairs. When you put in the third DIMM an external
clock buffer is recommended and while DIMM1 gets its own address and
command pins, DIMM2 and 3 must share the second one.

Also, it has been documented that the use of Pstate transistions
(basically Cool'nQuiet) can result in unpredictable results when 3 DIMMs
are used.

On the K8NE, the owners manual, specifies that the max speed for

1 DIMM - DDR400.
2 DIMMs - DDR400 as long DIMM1 is filled.
3 DIMMs - DDR333 if all single sided DIMMS or
the combination of Double/Single/Double are used
- DDR200 for any other combination.
(note: Double here is double sided, not dual channel).

Lastly, there is an approved list of DIMMs that can be used.

See page 2-12 in
http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N-E_DX/e18...

There is supposed to be an updated list on the ASUS site, but I haven't
found it.
!