How can I disable onboard LAN on Asus A7V333-X ?

My onboard LAN died, and I replaced it with a new one. The new one is
properly inserted in a PCI slot, installed and functions OK. But every
time I boot, I got a baloon message (Windows XP) that a new hardware
was found, PCI device. Hardware device manager reports an error
concerning Other devices->PCI device.
What am I supposed to do? I think that disabling the onboard LAN is the
solution, but I don't know how. I do not see any option in BIOS setup
that looks like it.

You misunderstood. The onboard LAN is dead, the new PCI NIC is
installed completely, and works perfect. So, there is no point
installing drivers for dead onboard chip, nor new LAN card, though it
is already installed.
What does it mean "PCI device" ? What device ?

If it's OK with you, I can send an image to your e-mail. Though I use
Google groups, I can not send it via Google interface.

Paul

Splendid

In article <1121454677.285987.76060@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"bobjan" <bobjan@eunet.yu> wrote:

> My onboard LAN died, and I replaced it with a new one. The new one is
> properly inserted in a PCI slot, installed and functions OK. But every
> time I boot, I got a baloon message (Windows XP) that a new hardware
> was found, PCI device. Hardware device manager reports an error
> concerning Other devices->PCI device.
> What am I supposed to do? I think that disabling the onboard LAN is the
> solution, but I don't know how. I do not see any option in BIOS setup
> that looks like it.

Are you sure there isn't an option in Device Manager to
"disable device in this hardware profile" ?

Another option to investigate, is look between PCI slot 2 and PCI
slot 3. There is a label printed on the motherboard that says
"LAN_EN1". It has three solder pads, and it looks like a wire
stretches from the left most pad to the center pad. Perhaps
cutting the wire, and shorting the center pad to the right
most pad, would disable the LAN. Only try that, if you cannot
get good results from modifying the Device Manager setting.

Also, if there is still some of the 3 year warranty left on
the motherboard, contact Asus and arrange an RMA. It may take
a couple of weeks, but they could replace the defective LAN
chip for you. Then you won't need to hack anything.

Just a guess,
Paul

bobjan wrote:
> My onboard LAN died, and I replaced it with a new one. The new one is
> properly inserted in a PCI slot, installed and functions OK. But every
> time I boot, I got a baloon message (Windows XP) that a new hardware
> was found, PCI device. Hardware device manager reports an error
> concerning Other devices->PCI device.
> What am I supposed to do?

You can always install the correct driver and the message will go away.

bobjan wrote:
> You misunderstood. The onboard LAN is dead, the new PCI NIC is
> installed completely, and works perfect. So, there is no point
> installing drivers for dead onboard chip, nor new LAN card, though it
> is already installed.

OK, if onboard nic driver is already installed, it probably refers to
another device. Of onboard devices, it can be usb2.0 or audio for example.
Or you could have added another pci-card without loading the driver (or only
installed parts of the driver pack for the device).

I guess you lack the usb2.0 driver. Does it say "standard enhanced........"
anywhere under "universal serial bus controllers" in device manager?

> What does it mean "PCI device" ? What device ?

Could be any device. A screenshot of your device manager with all submenues
expanded would be valuable.