USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device / WIN XP HE

After install subject device, it is listed in Device
Manager and all it's functions are enabled but the device
is not listed when I bring up Explore in the My Computer
Dir.

bar

New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must
first initialize it. Partitioon and Formatting are also required. If you
start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears
so you can initialize the disk.

To initialize new disks
Open Computer Management (Local). To open Computer Management, click Start,
and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then
double-click Computer Management.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a
network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this
procedure.

In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
- Storage
- Disk Management

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. You can
Partition and Format in the same manner.

If you are running Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, you can select whether to use
the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style.

The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

"escalante1" wrote:

> After install subject device, it is listed in Device
> Manager and all it's functions are enabled but the device
> is not listed when I bring up Explore in the My Computer
> Dir.

I found your solution (I hope) posted by Mirko on
8/18/2004. Here it is:
Go to "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -
> "Computer Management" ->
"Disk Management" and check whether the USB drive is
shown there and if
there is a drive letter assigned to it. If it's listed
there, but with no
drive letter, then just assign one of your choice.
Depending on what kind of "USB Mass Storage device"
you've purchased it may
not even be partitioned and formated yet.
=====
In my case, when I looked in the "Disk Management" I
found my USB device wanted to be drive G, but I had
already one mapped. I remapped and the USB device showed
up! Good luck!