Correct Procedure for Upgrading to new Processor&Motherboard

September 11, 2004 2:57:50 AM

Hi All,

I am ready to upgrade my P3 to a new Celeron/Intel
MoBoard. My question is this: Do I have to start from
scratch with installing win xp, or can I perform the
repair scenario that has been talked about on this group?

This is a business computer and has significant amounts
of data. I am worried about losing e-mail
predominantly. I will be backing up my documents to tape
prior to the upgrade. I have no idea where Outlook
stores e-mail, though, but that is a different subject.

Can I swap the hardware, load win xp again in repair mode
and then be on my way, or do I need to start from the
ground up?

Thanks,
David
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:56:10 AM

You can do a repair operation and go from there. It is very important
to backup all of your data before doing anything like this even though
there should be no complications. For a business computer, you should
probably have some kind of hard drive imaging software to make backups.
Anyways, you will be fine doing the repair operation.

Boot off your XP CD, choose INSTALL, then press R to repair, and you are
on your way (just make sure to choose install first, then press R, not R
first) ;)

Also, Outlook stores information in several places, but what you are
looking for should be in Application Data under C:\Documents and
Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\. Your address book will
be under Address Book. There are also more files in C:\Documents and
Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\

----
Nathan McNulty

David wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am ready to upgrade my P3 to a new Celeron/Intel
> MoBoard. My question is this: Do I have to start from
> scratch with installing win xp, or can I perform the
> repair scenario that has been talked about on this group?
>
> This is a business computer and has significant amounts
> of data. I am worried about losing e-mail
> predominantly. I will be backing up my documents to tape
> prior to the upgrade. I have no idea where Outlook
> stores e-mail, though, but that is a different subject.
>
> Can I swap the hardware, load win xp again in repair mode
> and then be on my way, or do I need to start from the
> ground up?
>
> Thanks,
> David

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 12:20:14 PM

David wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am ready to upgrade my P3 to a new Celeron/Intel
> MoBoard. My question is this: Do I have to start from
> scratch with installing win xp, or can I perform the
> repair scenario that has been talked about on this group?
>
> This is a business computer and has significant amounts
> of data. I am worried about losing e-mail
> predominantly. I will be backing up my documents to tape
> prior to the upgrade. I have no idea where Outlook
> stores e-mail, though, but that is a different subject.
>
> Can I swap the hardware, load win xp again in repair mode
> and then be on my way, or do I need to start from the
> ground up?
>
> Thanks,
> David

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 2:42:15 PM

Use the 'EXPORT' feature in Outlook to create a file from which your mail
can be re-instated, i.e. imported back..

!