Enermax 475w power supply problem.

In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just running
WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and is
the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
going bad?
12 answers Last reply
More about enermax 475w power supply problem

    "Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote in message
    > In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    > 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just
    > running
    > WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    > drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    > video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    > brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and
    > is
    > the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
    > going bad?

    You should go here and check if your power supply putting out power.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

    Hope this helps
    Ken'

    In article <OPKdnd7W18T_NUTfRVn-uw@giganews.com>, "Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote:

    > In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    > 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just running
    > WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    > drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    > video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    > brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and is
    > the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
    > going bad?

    The first thing to do, is check the power supply voltages,
    either using the hardware monitor in the BIOS, or when you
    are booted into Windows, install and use Asus Probe to
    measure the voltages. ATX supplies are supposed to regulate to
    within 5%, and should do better than that normally. By
    checking the voltages, you'll get a good idea as to whether
    it is the power supply, or perhaps the video card is flaky.

    When it comes to selecting a power supply, the total watts is
    not the only parameter to use. The reason this is the case,
    is because some supplies put all their effort into the +5V
    rail, leaving a pathetically inadequate output level on the
    +12V rail. Some of the old Powmax 500W supplies, had 12V@10A
    and even though the supply was "500W", that supply could not
    run even a stripped down P4 system.

    You really need a calculator that works out the current
    required for each rail. The heavily loaded rails are
    +3.3V, +5.0V, and +12V. The other rails, -5V and -12V are
    used for tiny currents or not at all. The +5VSB is used to
    power the sleeping computer, keep the contents of RAM, and
    power parts of chips used for "wakeup" functions like
    Wake On LAN.

    This site contains a calculator. It attempts to work out the
    current required for each of the heavily loaded rails. Unlike
    other sites, it has more realistic number for RAM current (a
    DDR DIMM is closer to 5 watts, rather than the overestimates
    on other sites).

    http://takaman.jp/D/?english

    What these calculators cannot do, is get the balance exactly
    right on all three rails. Most modern motherboards now use
    the ATX12V 2x2 connector to power the processor, and the
    calculation of the +12V requirement will be the most accurate
    of the three. The currents required of +3.3V and +5V are
    generally small enough, that once you've bought a power supply
    that meets the +12V requirement, there is enough current for
    the other rails. (In the table below, all the supplies listed
    have plenty of +3.3 and +5V.)

    If your motherboard doesn't use the ATX12V connector, then some
    fiddling of the calculated numbers will be needed to gauge the
    power supply. (For example, my A7N8X-E draws heavily from the
    +5V supply, and with a good video card, somewhere between 20 and
    25A are needed. The motherboard draws very little +12V, and the
    disk drives draw most of the small amount of +12V needed.)

    So, armed with your calculated +3.3V, +5V, and +12V current
    requirements, you can go shopping. Good brands will specify
    the current available on each rail, and each brand has
    different characteristics (either just barely skimping by,
    or having more total output than the wattage rating would
    suggest). If a cheap power supply just lists the total wattage,
    and provides no details, look for another brand that does give
    the necessary information. Here is a typical table from a
    reputable brand of supply.

    VOLTAGE +5V +12V +3.3V -5V -12V +5VSB
    TRUE330 30A  17A  28A  0.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE380 35A  18A  28A  0.5A 1.0A 2.0A <--- $65 US
    TRUE430 36A  20A  28A  0.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE480 38A  22A  30A  1.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE550 40A  24A  32A  0.5A 1.0A 2.0A <--- $95 US

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    > 1800rpm.

    That's normal for some power supply fans and isn't anything to
    worry about. The most important fan in a system is the one
    for the CPU.

    > I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just running
    > WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    > drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    > video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    > brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and
    > is
    > the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
    > going bad?

    From our experience as a dealer, artifacts tend to be the result of a flaky
    or overheating video card. Your Enermax 475W power supply is powerful
    and high quality enough. I recommend trying a different video card
    (such as your old one) to see what happens.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    I came up with 473 watts. Thanks for the link.

    "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
    :
    : "Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote in message
    : news:OPKdnd7W18T_NUTfRVn-uw@giganews.com...
    : > In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    : > 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just
    : > running
    : > WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    : > drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    : > video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    : > brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies?
    and
    : > is
    : > the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that
    it's
    : > going bad?
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
    : You should go here and check if your power supply putting out power.
    : http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
    :
    :
    : Hope this helps
    : Ken'
    :
    :

    I put the old card back in which is a leadtek geforce ti 4400. I did notice
    when I removed the 6800GT that there was dust filled in all around it so I
    blew it out with compressed air. I wonder if it was overheating so I'm going
    to throw it back in tomorrow and see what happens.

    "KC Computers" <kc@kc-computers.com> wrote in message
[...]
    : From our experience as a dealer, artifacts tend to be the result of a
    flaky
    : or overheating video card. Your Enermax 475W power supply is powerful
    : and high quality enough. I recommend trying a different video card
    : (such as your old one) to see what happens.
    :
    :
    : ---
    : Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    : E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    : Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
    :
    :

    If you see in my other replies I'm going to try some simpler things first,
    but thanks for the tutorial and the link.

    :

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:25:08 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

    >"Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote in message
    >> In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    >> 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just
    >> running
    >> WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    >> drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    >> video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    >> brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and
    >> is
    >> the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
    >> going bad?
    >>

    >You should go here and check if your power supply putting out power.
    >http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

    Not really, it just confirms that the place that sold me this machine scrimped
    on BOTH power supplies. the 1st 300 they installed, and the now the 2nd 400
    they replaced it with.
    I came up with a need for 326. And if you toss in my error factor, maybe 25%,
    that would explain why this machines eaten 2 DVD recorders in one year.

    400 would be bare minimum.

    "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message

    > "Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote in message
    > > In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    > > 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just
    > > running
    > > WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    > > drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    > > video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    > > brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies?
    and
    > > is
    > > the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that
    it's
    > > going bad?
    > >

    > You should go here and check if your power supply putting out power.
    > http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

    Thanks for that link. I noticed they failed to provide options for
    motherboards with built in video and ethernet(s). I had put together two
    uATX systems with semperons for some friends and was wondering if the power
    supply I picked was appropriate. I assume that even if you add a video
    board you would still have to add in something for the on-board video chips.

    One should always check the listed output against the claimed power
    capabilities. Here is a claimed 320 watt
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP320W-MICRO&cat=PWR
    If you add up the listed outputs (voltage * current = power) you only get
    230 watts. Definatly a poor choice compared to this one from the same
    seller
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ESTAR-325-N
    which adds up to 340 watts and is sold (out) as a claimed 325 watt supply.

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:51:56 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    > The motherboard draws very little +12V, and the
    > disk drives draw most of the small amount of +12V needed.)

    Seagate 7200.7 looks to only use +12V
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,613,00.html
    Seagate 7200.8 use +12V and +5V
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,627,00.html

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:25:40 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    > I'm holding a 7200.7 80GB in my hand (it isn't the "plus" version),
    > and on the label it says "+5V 0.72A +12V 0.35A". That is roughly
    > consistent with the idle power rating of 7.5 watts on the web page.

    Yes you are right. Seagate made it wrong i the documentation.
    This is one of mine 120GB Seagates
    http://web.telia.com/~u85710889/seagate_1.png

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:25:40 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    > I'm holding a 7200.7 80GB in my hand (it isn't the "plus" version),
    > and on the label it says "+5V 0.72A +12V 0.35A". That is roughly
    > consistent with the idle power rating of 7.5 watts on the web page.

    Yes you are right. Seagate made it wrong in the documentation.

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:59:44 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:25:08 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Clif" <onjr@ma.com> wrote in message
    >>> In my bios the fan speed has started showing in red when it goes below
    >>> 1800rpm. I am also occasionally getting artifacts on the screen just
    >>> running
    >>> WinXP, no games. I've got a fully loaded system. 3 DVD writers, 6 hard
    >>> drives, quite a few case fans and a, recently added, XFX geforce 6800 GT
    >>> video card. I thought this power supply would do the trick being a good
    >>> brand. Do you think I need to go to 500 and something power supplies? and
    >>> is
    >>> the fan speed in the bios telling me the supply is over taxed or that it's
    >>> going bad?
    >>>

    >>You should go here and check if your power supply putting out power.
    >>http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
    >>

    >Not really, it just confirms that the place that sold me this machine scrimped
    >on BOTH power supplies. the 1st 300 they installed, and the now the 2nd 400
    >they replaced it with.
    >I came up with a need for 326. And if you toss in my error factor, maybe 25%,
    >that would explain why this machines eaten 2 DVD recorders in one year.

    Well, one of your DVD recorders was "eaten" because some combination
    of very-high rotational velocity and media-integrity problem led to
    the CD platter failing catastrophically. That clearly had nothing to
    do with your PSU, although I agree with you, from your description of
    the problem on your other post that your "machine scrimped on BOTH
    power supplies."

    >400 would be bare minimum.

    And not only "400 watts," but 400 watts from a reputable PSU that can
    actually deliver the power that its marketing department labeled it
    with. As you've already discovered, just because a PSU has "400W"
    stamped on it does NOT mean that it can deliver anywhere close to that
    under actual operating conditions.

    Ron

Asus Power Supplies Fan Speed Motherboards