A8V Deluxe - ATI Radeon 9600XT incompatabilities?

Looking for some help. I've just swapped my genuine ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
to another machine and replaced it with a genuine ATI 9600XT. A clean
install of Windows XP Pro was done as the machine needed a cleanup. Once XP
is installed, if I right-click on My Computer and select Manage, I get a
black screen with the mouse cursor and the machine hangs, mouse will only
move horizontally. Had to cold boot but it booted back up. Loaded the
chipset drivers, tried to reboot, hangs again with the horizontal cursor.
Another cold boot and I install the sound drivers, I can reboot ok this
time. I tried another right-click on Manage, same black screen again. This
board never booted again after that. Cleared cmos, left the battery out
overnight, nothing. I have another identical board, it did similar things so
I took out the 9600XT and put in an old MVidia PCI card. All is well. The
other system the 9600XT was in has an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the AIW 9600XT is in
it and fine. The 9600XT worked fine in it for over a year. Any ideas or
similar experiences?
Thanks in advance

please note all the hardware (memory, hard drive, 9600XT) has been swapped
to an Intel board and it all works just fine, no problems. The hard drive
passed diagnostics and the memory has been tested as well

"zzipper" <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Looking for some help. I've just swapped my genuine ATI All-in-Wonder
> 9600XT to another machine and replaced it with a genuine ATI 9600XT. A
> clean install of Windows XP Pro was done as the machine needed a cleanup.
> Once XP is installed, if I right-click on My Computer and select Manage, I
> get a black screen with the mouse cursor and the machine hangs, mouse will
> only move horizontally. Had to cold boot but it booted back up. Loaded the
> chipset drivers, tried to reboot, hangs again with the horizontal cursor.
> Another cold boot and I install the sound drivers, I can reboot ok this
> time. I tried another right-click on Manage, same black screen again. This
> board never booted again after that. Cleared cmos, left the battery out
> overnight, nothing. I have another identical board, it did similar things
> so I took out the 9600XT and put in an old MVidia PCI card. All is well.
> The other system the 9600XT was in has an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the AIW 9600XT
> is in it and fine. The 9600XT worked fine in it for over a year. Any ideas
> or similar experiences?
> Thanks in advance

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

zzipper wrote:
> Looking for some help. I've just swapped my genuine ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
> to another machine and replaced it with a genuine ATI 9600XT. A clean
> install of Windows XP Pro was done as the machine needed a cleanup. Once XP
> is installed, if I right-click on My Computer and select Manage, I get a
> black screen with the mouse cursor and the machine hangs, mouse will only
> move horizontally. Had to cold boot but it booted back up. Loaded the
> chipset drivers, tried to reboot, hangs again with the horizontal cursor.
> Another cold boot and I install the sound drivers, I can reboot ok this
> time. I tried another right-click on Manage, same black screen again. This
> board never booted again after that. Cleared cmos, left the battery out
> overnight, nothing. I have another identical board, it did similar things so
> I took out the 9600XT and put in an old MVidia PCI card. All is well. The
> other system the 9600XT was in has an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the AIW 9600XT is in
> it and fine. The 9600XT worked fine in it for over a year. Any ideas or
> similar experiences?
> Thanks in advance

I rarely do a build without some AGP seating problem - partly my fault
because I don't take the care needed to align the board and case/agp
slot. But I think the AGP slots can be problematic. Maybe loosen the
board, give the AGP card a good shove?!

Rob

Thanks for the idea but I've done that. I put the card in two other systems
and it's just fine? Wrote to ATI late last night, waiting to see what they
have. Seating AGP cards has always been an issue, I agree. The cheaper the
case, the more likely there's going to be a problem too. But this is an
Antec case, made with real steel :) Never had issues with the old card,
same core, same size more or less. Weird?

"Rob" <removethispatchoulian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> zzipper wrote:
>> Looking for some help. I've just swapped my genuine ATI All-in-Wonder
>> 9600XT to another machine and replaced it with a genuine ATI 9600XT. A
>> clean install of Windows XP Pro was done as the machine needed a cleanup.
>> Once XP is installed, if I right-click on My Computer and select Manage,
>> I get a black screen with the mouse cursor and the machine hangs, mouse
>> will only move horizontally. Had to cold boot but it booted back up.
>> Loaded the chipset drivers, tried to reboot, hangs again with the
>> horizontal cursor. Another cold boot and I install the sound drivers, I
>> can reboot ok this time. I tried another right-click on Manage, same
>> black screen again. This board never booted again after that. Cleared
>> cmos, left the battery out overnight, nothing. I have another identical
>> board, it did similar things so I took out the 9600XT and put in an old
>> MVidia PCI card. All is well. The other system the 9600XT was in has an
>> A7N8X-E Deluxe, the AIW 9600XT is in it and fine. The 9600XT worked fine
>> in it for over a year. Any ideas or similar experiences?
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> I rarely do a build without some AGP seating problem - partly my fault
> because I don't take the care needed to align the board and case/agp slot.
> But I think the AGP slots can be problematic. Maybe loosen the board, give
> the AGP card a good shove?!
>
> Rob

Found the problem, reversed the IRQ for Firewire and USB controller,
everything is happy now.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:58:39 -0400, "zzipper" <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Looking for some help. I've just swapped my genuine ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
>to another machine and replaced it with a genuine ATI 9600XT. A clean
>install of Windows XP Pro was done as the machine needed a cleanup. Once XP
>is installed, if I right-click on My Computer and select Manage, I get a
>black screen with the mouse cursor and the machine hangs, mouse will only
>move horizontally. Had to cold boot but it booted back up. Loaded the
>chipset drivers, tried to reboot, hangs again with the horizontal cursor.
>Another cold boot and I install the sound drivers, I can reboot ok this
>time. I tried another right-click on Manage, same black screen again. This
>board never booted again after that. Cleared cmos, left the battery out
>overnight, nothing. I have another identical board, it did similar things so
>I took out the 9600XT and put in an old MVidia PCI card. All is well. The
>other system the 9600XT was in has an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the AIW 9600XT is in
>it and fine. The 9600XT worked fine in it for over a year. Any ideas or
>similar experiences?
>Thanks in advance

I am running a Geforce brand 9600XT on an A8V with no problems.