A8V-E Deluxe CHA_FAN 2

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2005 10:59:29 AM

Hello,
the system was running well, but at least I wanted connect the Signal Fan
cable from the Antec Neo Power to the CHA_FAN 2 to observe the FAN. Suddenly
the Power shuts dwon ( short cut). Since this was happend, only the green
LED of the Motherboard lights, but no if I turn on the Power nothing begin's
to start no CPU-FAN .

Is now the Motherboard destroyed or the Power Supply or everything?.

Thanks
Walter

More about : a8v deluxe cha fan

July 18, 2005 3:42:20 PM

In article <dbfcvh$afe$1@news.mch.sbs.de>, "walhol" <hollerwal@aol.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> the system was running well, but at least I wanted connect the Signal Fan
> cable from the Antec Neo Power to the CHA_FAN 2 to observe the FAN. Suddenly
> the Power shuts dwon ( short cut). Since this was happend, only the green
> LED of the Motherboard lights, but no if I turn on the Power nothing begin's
> to start no CPU-FAN .
>
> Is now the Motherboard destroyed or the Power Supply or everything?.
>
> Thanks
> Walter

Never plug or unplug things with the power on!

You probably connected the ground on the PSU fan sensor cable,
to the +12V on the CHA_FAN 2 header. That will short the +12V
on the motherboard, and burn the copper track in the motherboard.

To test the power supply, pull the power supply from the computer
case, then connect PS_ON# to a COM pin. The pinout for the power
supply is here on page 36:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_P...

When PS_ON# is connected to COM, the power supply fan should start
to spin. You could then use a voltmeter to measure the voltages,
but really, if it starts to spin, it is likely unharmed.

It is probably time to RMA the motherboard or buy a new one.

If you have an ohmmeter, you could do a continuity check from the
+12V pin on CHA_FAN 2 header, to the 12V pins on the 24 pin ATX power
plug. That circuit is likely now open circuit. If that particular fan
header is controlled by Q-fan, the header is NOT connected directly
to +12V (there would be a transistor in the path). If a fan header
is not controlled by Q-fan, then it could go directly to +12V. That
is all I know. Due to the fire hazard, I don't recommend trying to
fix this yourself. Get some help, preferably by using the warranty.
That is better than burning down your house. Asus should really
put a Polyfuse in that circuit.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 12:34:43 PM

Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your helpful hints. I did what you recommended. Thank
goodness, the Motherboard was ok. I measured form the CHA_FAN Pin to the
EATX 24 Pin connector and as I heared "beep" I was breathe a sigh of relief.
Then I connected the new Power supply "in power off state!!!!" and the
system comes up. I was so down, and now I am happy. I tougth everyting is
dameged. I will never plug things with the power on. Normally I'm very
correct and careful but I don't know why I did this.

Thanks

Walter

!