A8V-E Deluxe CHA_FAN 2

Hello,
the system was running well, but at least I wanted connect the Signal Fan
cable from the Antec Neo Power to the CHA_FAN 2 to observe the FAN. Suddenly
the Power shuts dwon ( short cut). Since this was happend, only the green
LED of the Motherboard lights, but no if I turn on the Power nothing begin's
to start no CPU-FAN .

Is now the Motherboard destroyed or the Power Supply or everything?.

Thanks
Walter
2 answers Last reply
More about deluxe cha_fan

    In article <dbfcvh$afe$1@news.mch.sbs.de>, "walhol" <hollerwal@aol.de> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > the system was running well, but at least I wanted connect the Signal Fan
    > cable from the Antec Neo Power to the CHA_FAN 2 to observe the FAN. Suddenly
    > the Power shuts dwon ( short cut). Since this was happend, only the green
    > LED of the Motherboard lights, but no if I turn on the Power nothing begin's
    > to start no CPU-FAN .
    >
    > Is now the Motherboard destroyed or the Power Supply or everything?.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Walter

    Never plug or unplug things with the power on!

    You probably connected the ground on the PSU fan sensor cable,
    to the +12V on the CHA_FAN 2 header. That will short the +12V
    on the motherboard, and burn the copper track in the motherboard.

    To test the power supply, pull the power supply from the computer
    case, then connect PS_ON# to a COM pin. The pinout for the power
    supply is here on page 36:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    When PS_ON# is connected to COM, the power supply fan should start
    to spin. You could then use a voltmeter to measure the voltages,
    but really, if it starts to spin, it is likely unharmed.

    It is probably time to RMA the motherboard or buy a new one.

    If you have an ohmmeter, you could do a continuity check from the
    +12V pin on CHA_FAN 2 header, to the 12V pins on the 24 pin ATX power
    plug. That circuit is likely now open circuit. If that particular fan
    header is controlled by Q-fan, the header is NOT connected directly
    to +12V (there would be a transistor in the path). If a fan header
    is not controlled by Q-fan, then it could go directly to +12V. That
    is all I know. Due to the fire hazard, I don't recommend trying to
    fix this yourself. Get some help, preferably by using the warranty.
    That is better than burning down your house. Asus should really
    put a Polyfuse in that circuit.

    Paul

    Hello Paul,

    thanks a lot for your helpful hints. I did what you recommended. Thank
    goodness, the Motherboard was ok. I measured form the CHA_FAN Pin to the
    EATX 24 Pin connector and as I heared "beep" I was breathe a sigh of relief.
    Then I connected the new Power supply "in power off state!!!!" and the
    system comes up. I was so down, and now I am happy. I tougth everyting is
    dameged. I will never plug things with the power on. Normally I'm very
    correct and careful but I don't know why I did this.

    Thanks

    Walter

    > In article <dbfcvh$afe$1@news.mch.sbs.de>, "walhol" <hollerwal@aol.de>
    wrote:

    > > Hello,
    > > the system was running well, but at least I wanted connect the Signal
    Fan
    > > cable from the Antec Neo Power to the CHA_FAN 2 to observe the FAN.
    Suddenly
    > > the Power shuts dwon ( short cut). Since this was happend, only the
    green
    > > LED of the Motherboard lights, but no if I turn on the Power nothing
    begin's
    > > to start no CPU-FAN .
    > >
    > > Is now the Motherboard destroyed or the Power Supply or everything?.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Walter
    >
    > Never plug or unplug things with the power on!
    >
    > You probably connected the ground on the PSU fan sensor cable,
    > to the +12V on the CHA_FAN 2 header. That will short the +12V
    > on the motherboard, and burn the copper track in the motherboard.
    >
    > To test the power supply, pull the power supply from the computer
    > case, then connect PS_ON# to a COM pin. The pinout for the power
    > supply is here on page 36:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    > When PS_ON# is connected to COM, the power supply fan should start
    > to spin. You could then use a voltmeter to measure the voltages,
    > but really, if it starts to spin, it is likely unharmed.
    >
    > It is probably time to RMA the motherboard or buy a new one.
    >
    > If you have an ohmmeter, you could do a continuity check from the
    > +12V pin on CHA_FAN 2 header, to the 12V pins on the 24 pin ATX power
    > plug. That circuit is likely now open circuit. If that particular fan
    > header is controlled by Q-fan, the header is NOT connected directly
    > to +12V (there would be a transistor in the path). If a fan header
    > is not controlled by Q-fan, then it could go directly to +12V. That
    > is all I know. Due to the fire hazard, I don't recommend trying to
    > fix this yourself. Get some help, preferably by using the warranty.
    > That is better than burning down your house. Asus should really
    > put a Polyfuse in that circuit.
    >
    > Paul

Asus Fan Power Motherboards