Graphene Monoxide Turns Graphene Into a Monoxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope the title make zero since at all. By the title Graphene Monoxide (which was created from heating Graphene) turns Graphene into a Monoxide. Chicken meet your egg.

Maybe "Heat turns Graphene Into Graphene Monoxide"

This is an interesting article, but I have one problem with it:

Graphene Monoxide Turns Graphene Into a Monoxide

Am I missing something, or is there a typo here? That seems to be like saying that alloying steel with aluminum makes the new alloy turn the steel into an aluminum alloy. It's like trying to state the obvious, but then not making sense when you actually think about the sentence.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Graphene Monoxide Turns Graphene Into a Monoxide"Is it just me or does the headline not make any sense ?[/citation]
Yea, it's more like "Heat turns Graphene oxide into Graphene monoxide"

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The effective result, is the Graphene "burning" without decomposing. The end result is a carbon (graphene)-oxide material that is exceptionally efficient at thermal transfer (according to their accidental discovery). It seems similar to how Thomas Edison created his Carbon filiments.

G

Suggested title change: "Thermolysis of Graphene Oxide in an Oxygen-free Environment Produces Graphene Monoxide"

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
The title is awful. Please fix it. It makes zero sense. Any Editor should catch that. Graphene monoxide does not make graphene into a monoxide, the researchers did that.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmuskrat[/nom]Suggested title change: "Thermolysis of Graphene Oxide in an Oxygen-free Environment Produces Graphene Monoxide"[/citation]

Oh yeah, that just clears it up for me ten fold ...
[scratches head]

[citation][nom]jamessneed[/nom]Nope the title make zero since at all. By the title Graphene Monoxide (which was created from heating Graphene) turns Graphene into a Monoxide. Chicken meet your egg.Maybe "Heat turns Graphene Into Graphene Monoxide"[/citation]
LOL, "Chicken meet your egg" Classic!

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
i am with the ppl who are saying the title is wrong as it just plain is and it should be changed b/c it is but it is still a good discovery as it is getting closer to having a graphene-based heat sink to go over your computer parts. In this @mhawk13 no you will not have a graphene-based CPU as that is not what the alloy is good at its not conductive but not to conductive enough to form a CPU material but it is in Intel's trigate so in a way if you get a CPU with Intel's trigate tech in it you have your graphene CPU even though the graphene is for stopping the crosstalk in the electric flow.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]aminer[/nom]This is a Noble Prize discovery. Mark my word[/citation]

I don't think they hand out Nobel Prizes for 'accidents'.
It would make a farce out of education.

[citation][nom]yumri[/nom]i am with the ppl who are saying the title is wrong as it just plain is and it should be changed b/c it is but it is still a good discovery as it is getting closer to having a graphene-based heat sink to go over your computer parts. In this @mhawk13 no you will not have a graphene-based CPU as that is not what the alloy is good at its not conductive but not to conductive enough to form a CPU material but it is in Intel's trigate so in a way if you get a CPU with Intel's trigate tech in it you have your graphene CPU even though the graphene is for stopping the crosstalk in the electric flow.[/citation]

An alloy must contain metal. Neither graphene nor oxygen is metalic, so it is not an alloy. Also, the idea was that this could replace silicon. Both this graphene monoxide and silicon are semi-conductors and that is what the question referred to. In fact, it was a valid question because it was asking about when graphene would replace silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS