Optical Drives Not Showing Up in Boot Menu

On my Asus P5GD1, I have AMI Bios 0713 according to my system
information. The other numbers I keep seeing are ACPI Bios rev
1007.013, and at bootup for the IDE scan, I get
IT8212 ATAPI Bios V1.7.1.56. Win XP
Pro SP2, PC4, 1 GB RAM.

I want to install a fresh copy of Windows XP but the boot menu does
not list the sole optical drive in the boot menu, a DVD rom drive. All
I get is the floppy drive and the main hard drive. A secondary hard
drive does not show up either.

So any reason why it would not be showing up in boot menu? I bought
the motherboard last year so it should boot from the CD and I update
the BIOS faithfully. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

"Neal Lavon" <nlavon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On my Asus P5GD1, I have AMI Bios 0713 according to my system
> information. The other numbers I keep seeing are ACPI Bios rev
> 1007.013, and at bootup for the IDE scan, I get
> IT8212 ATAPI Bios V1.7.1.56. Win XP
> Pro SP2, PC4, 1 GB RAM.
>
> I want to install a fresh copy of Windows XP but the boot menu does
> not list the sole optical drive in the boot menu, a DVD rom drive. All
> I get is the floppy drive and the main hard drive. A secondary hard
> drive does not show up either.
>
> So any reason why it would not be showing up in boot menu? I bought
> the motherboard last year so it should boot from the CD and I update
> the BIOS faithfully. Any help gratefully appreciated.
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA
In the CMOS setup, on the first screen, there should be an option for
setting the drive types attached to the IDE ports. Manually set the one
that has the DVD on it, to 'CDROM'. There is a common problem where BIOS's
don't recognise DVD drives on the 'auto detect' option, as backward
compatible to a CDROM, and then don't allow them to be selected as boot
devices. Hopefully, once set as a CDROM, you should then be able to
include it in the boot order.

Best Wishes

I'll give it a try. I think what you're talking about in my case is
the Main Menu from my BIOS which lists a Primary IDE Master, Primary
IDE Slave, and then a Third IDE Master/Third IDE Slave. I'm going to
assume that my "secondary IDE connector on the motherboard is,
according to the BIOS, my "Third iDE Master".

I'll see what happens. Thanks!

Neal Lavon