DVI cable causes motherboard to not boot

Hi,
I have a Compaq S6200CL with an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard. There is an
ATI 9600 (256 MB) video card installed in the AGP slot. A DVI monitor
cable is attached to an Acer AL1914SMD-8 LCD and the ATI 9600 video
card. With this setup, when I turn the power on to the computer, the
power light comes on the hard drive light comes on (and stays on) and
the fans spin up. The computer does not boot 5 out of 6 tries. When
the computer does not boot, the monitor acts like the computer is not
even turned on. Having the monitor off or on before the computer is
powered up does not seem to matter.
I have tried the ATI 9600 video card, DVI cable and Acer LCD monitor in
a computer with a Shuttle motherboard. The setup works great, it boots
8 out of 8 times. So, the problem has to be in the A7V8X-LA
motherboard in the Compaq computer.
The motherboard in the Compaq S6200CL has the latest BIOS, version
3.10. (Note that the S6200CL will boot when a monitor uses the analog
15 pin port on the ATI 9600 video card)
Technical support at Compaq seemed to think that the no boot problem
was caused by the on board video controller. I tried their suggested
fix and it did not make any difference.
Any ideas what causes the Compaq motherboard to not boot when the LCD
monitor, DVI cable, and ATI 9600 video card is used?
thanks a bunch!
Matt Meerian
1 answer Last reply
More about cable motherboard boot

    <matt6ft9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Compaq S6200CL with an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard. There is an
    > ATI 9600 (256 MB) video card installed in the AGP slot. A DVI monitor
    > cable is attached to an Acer AL1914SMD-8 LCD and the ATI 9600 video
    > card. With this setup, when I turn the power on to the computer, the
    > power light comes on the hard drive light comes on (and stays on) and
    > the fans spin up. The computer does not boot 5 out of 6 tries. When
    > the computer does not boot, the monitor acts like the computer is not
    > even turned on. Having the monitor off or on before the computer is
    > powered up does not seem to matter.
    > I have tried the ATI 9600 video card, DVI cable and Acer LCD monitor in
    > a computer with a Shuttle motherboard. The setup works great, it boots
    > 8 out of 8 times. So, the problem has to be in the A7V8X-LA
    > motherboard in the Compaq computer.
    > The motherboard in the Compaq S6200CL has the latest BIOS, version
    > 3.10. (Note that the S6200CL will boot when a monitor uses the analog
    > 15 pin port on the ATI 9600 video card)
    > Technical support at Compaq seemed to think that the no boot problem
    > was caused by the on board video controller. I tried their suggested
    > fix and it did not make any difference.
    > Any ideas what causes the Compaq motherboard to not boot when the LCD
    > monitor, DVI cable, and ATI 9600 video card is used?
    > thanks a bunch!
    > Matt Meerian

    I don't have Compaq, but what I've heard about it, makes me to think
    that customising a Compaq is not the best idea. Compaqs have
    dedicated hardware which is not always working well, if at all,
    with generic PC peripherals. For me it looks that you have
    some incompatability problem.

Asus Computer Boot Motherboards