Hardware Upgrade Avice anyone?

I don't have a problem but would appreciate any advice from those who are
likely to know more about hardware upgrades.
I want to upgrade the MB, CPU and memory on my present system. I use the
system for home business, watching DVD's, Burning CDr's, playing some games
( Doom3 and MS Flight Simulator 2 ) and surfing the web.
What would be the most cost efficient upgrade combination of MB, CPU and
memory?
I live in the UK.

System
OS - Windows XP Home SP2
MB - Gigabyte GA-81DX Intel 845 AGP set
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 1700GHZ
Memory - 1GB SDram
HD 1 - Model WDC WD400AB-00BVA0 40GB
HD 2 - Model SAMSUNG SP1203N 120GB
CD/DVD - HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-5000
CDR/CDRW - LITE-ON LTR-40125S
Graphics - Radion 9600 128Dram
Sound - Craetive Audigy PCI card
Monitor LG Flatron L1710S

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

Save you money for about 6-12 months. For what you do,
there isn't a worthwhile upgrade available yet.

"Paul.Woodsford" <paul.woodsfordnospam@virgin.net> wrote in
message news:era%23jYDmEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
|I don't have a problem but would appreciate any advice from
those who are
| likely to know more about hardware upgrades.
| I want to upgrade the MB, CPU and memory on my present
system. I use the
| system for home business, watching DVD's, Burning CDr's,
playing some games
| ( Doom3 and MS Flight Simulator 2 ) and surfing the web.
| What would be the most cost efficient upgrade combination
of MB, CPU and
| memory?
| I live in the UK.
|
| System
| OS - Windows XP Home SP2
| MB - Gigabyte GA-81DX Intel 845 AGP set
| CPU - Intel Pentium 4 1700GHZ
| Memory - 1GB SDram
| HD 1 - Model WDC WD400AB-00BVA0 40GB
| HD 2 - Model SAMSUNG SP1203N 120GB
| CD/DVD - HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-5000
| CDR/CDRW - LITE-ON LTR-40125S
| Graphics - Radion 9600 128Dram
| Sound - Craetive Audigy PCI card
| Monitor LG Flatron L1710S
|
| --
| Paul.Woodsford
| Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

1) Keep what you have.

2) Upgrade CPU to the fastest the current MB will accept.

"Paul.Woodsford" <paul.woodsfordnospam@virgin.net> wrote...
>I don't have a problem but would appreciate any advice from those who are
>likely to know more about hardware upgrades.
> I want to upgrade the MB, CPU and memory on my present system. I use the
> system for home business, watching DVD's, Burning CDr's, playing some games
> ( Doom3 and MS Flight Simulator 2 ) and surfing the web.
> What would be the most cost efficient upgrade combination of MB, CPU and
> memory?
> I live in the UK.
>
> System
> OS - Windows XP Home SP2
> MB - Gigabyte GA-81DX Intel 845 AGP set
> CPU - Intel Pentium 4 1700GHZ
> Memory - 1GB SDram
> HD 1 - Model WDC WD400AB-00BVA0 40GB
> HD 2 - Model SAMSUNG SP1203N 120GB
> CD/DVD - HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-5000
> CDR/CDRW - LITE-ON LTR-40125S
> Graphics - Radion 9600 128Dram
> Sound - Craetive Audigy PCI card
> Monitor LG Flatron L1710S
>
> --
> Paul.Woodsford
> Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

bar

Without the obvious 'I neeed to do...' posted by you, or any problems with
the performance in your current system, any suggestions are going to be vague
in reply.

Thre isn't an obvious requirement in your post: such as 'When I play DVDs
the playback is jerky'.

If you do have a specific issues or more, then post them; if not keep your PC.

You have a large amount of memory and sufficient power in your current setup.

WHen you upgrade, then look to an AMD or Pentium CPU which will be around
the 3.5Ghz speed and cost less than Pds Stg 100. It won't happen for 6-8
months.

The Mobo should manage the new DDR2 memory AND use your existing video card,
Sound Card, HDDs, CD / DVD.

Then you'll get CPU Speed, memory transfer rate data transfer tate and all
right up to a higher level.

Wait a while it'll all come to you and be very affordable. AMD has just
released its new CPU range and prices will come down soon enough.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Save you money for about 6-12 months. For what you do,
> there isn't a worthwhile upgrade available yet.
>

> "Paul.Woodsford" <paul.woodsfordnospam@virgin.net> wrote in
> message news:era%23jYDmEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> |I don't have a problem but would appreciate any advice from
> those who are
> | likely to know more about hardware upgrades.
> | I want to upgrade the MB, CPU and memory on my present
> system. I use the
> | system for home business, watching DVD's, Burning CDr's,
> playing some games
> | ( Doom3 and MS Flight Simulator 2 ) and surfing the web.
> | What would be the most cost efficient upgrade combination
> of MB, CPU and
> | memory?
> | I live in the UK.
> |
> | System
> | OS - Windows XP Home SP2
> | MB - Gigabyte GA-81DX Intel 845 AGP set
> | CPU - Intel Pentium 4 1700GHZ
> | Memory - 1GB SDram
> | HD 1 - Model WDC WD400AB-00BVA0 40GB
> | HD 2 - Model SAMSUNG SP1203N 120GB
> | CD/DVD - HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-5000
> | CDR/CDRW - LITE-ON LTR-40125S
> | Graphics - Radion 9600 128Dram
> | Sound - Craetive Audigy PCI card
> | Monitor LG Flatron L1710S
> |
> | --
> | Paul.Woodsford
> | Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

Basically what everyone else said. Just use what you have. It works for
now. If you really must, check this out:
http://fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=18&threadid=361045

----
Nathan McNulty