Front panel audio on P4C800-E Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 2:24:26 PM

Hi,

How to use the front panel audio on a P4C800-E Deluxe ?
I would like to connect my headset ( with microphone ) on the front panel.

Thanks for your answers.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 2:24:27 PM

Do you already have the "front panel" and want to connect it to the header
or do you need a front panel or do you have all the hardware and it just
doesn't work? There are several types of front transfer panels with various
connections and wiring schemes. Here is one for a 5.25 bay:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

"Bernard Quentric" <bernard.quentric@alcatel.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How to use the front panel audio on a P4C800-E Deluxe ?
> I would like to connect my headset ( with microphone ) on the front panel.
>
> Thanks for your answers.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 5:28:43 PM

Hi,

I have already my front panel : it's one included with the Coolermaster
wavemaster box.

Thanks

"RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Do you already have the "front panel" and want to connect it to the header
> or do you need a front panel or do you have all the hardware and it just
> doesn't work? There are several types of front transfer panels with
various
> connections and wiring schemes. Here is one for a 5.25 bay:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

> "Bernard Quentric" <bernard.quentric@alcatel.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > How to use the front panel audio on a P4C800-E Deluxe ?
> > I would like to connect my headset ( with microphone ) on the front
panel.

> > Thanks for your answers.

July 19, 2005 5:28:44 PM

In article <1121772527.241561@slbhw0>, "Bernard Quentric"
<bernard.quentric@alcatel.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have already my front panel : it's one included with the Coolermaster
> wavemaster box.
>
> Thanks

The Wavemaster installation guide is here. Go to this page, then
click "Installation Guide" to get a JPEG picture of how to install.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Langua...
http://www.coolermaster.com/installation_manual/ca8e9db...

The document shows there are two audio connectors. CN6 is the
headphone jack. CN7 is the microphone jack. The CN8 cable, which
has four wires, connects to the FP_AUDIO header on the motherboard.
Now, the problem is, the Wavemaster does not have an "Intel
compatible" wiring setup for CN6 and CN7, so some of the functions will
be missing. As RBM points out, you could shop for a third party
solution, preferably one that mentions "Intel compatible".

See page 19 and 20 of this document, to understand the Intel standard:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040207150757/http://formfa...

The Coolermaster doesn't support the rear green audio jack, when
CN8 is installed to FP_AUDIO. In addition, there is no wire for
MIC_BIAS, which means electret microphones will not work. A piezo-
electric microphone would work, but a dynamic (moving coil)
microphone might be too weak to make audio input work. Also, since
the microphone shorts the TIP and RING together, do _not_ plug a
Walkman or other line level stereo device into the Wavemaster
microphone jack.

To hook up CN8, it looks like "blue" goes to 5-4 which would be
TIP on the headset jack CN6, and that should be the left channel
output. "Purple" goes to 3-2 which would be RING on the headset jack
CN6 and that should be the right channel output. "Green" is a
ground signal for both audio input and output. The "yellow" wire
on CN8 goes to both TIP and RING of the CN7 microphone jack. You
will need to remove the two jumper plugs on FP_AUDIO, before making
the following connections. When you do this, keep the jumper plugs
in a safe place for later use. As a result of removing the jumper
plugs, the rear audio green jack will no longer work. (It will
work, when you put the two jumper plugs back in place.)

4 (yellow) -->       MIC2  X   X  AGND         <-- 3 (green)
    MICPWR  X   X  +5VA
1 (purple) --> Line_out_R  X   X  BLINE_OUT_R
                       NC  X
2 (blue) -->   Line_out_L  X   X  BLINE_OUT_L

That is the best you can do with the CN8 cable. I really recommend
an Intel compatible front panel audio plate, one like the Asus
J-Panel (it will be hard to find). Another solution is the CPX110
from frontx.com:

http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf (Asus J-Panel)

http://www.frontx.com/order2.html (click "CPX110")
http://www.frontx.com/cpx110.html (plug and play to FP_AUDIO)