Dual Core MB

Hi all,

Any good motherboard recommendation for dual core processor?

Thanks

Roger
7 answers Last reply
More about dual core

    "RogerJones" <gday_testmailbox01@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any good motherboard recommendation for dual core processor?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roger
    For AMD dual core, any 939 (with latest bios) will do fine. The trick is how
    to install latest bios.

    I take it if I buy a MOBO with an older firmware, and buy a CPU which
    is supported with newer firmware, there is no way to flash the bios
    with this new CPU? I would need to *borrow* an older CPU? Or can I
    underclock the CPU and flash the bios?

    In article <aImdnS29C-wsnUDfRVn-sw@comcast.com>, "Mark A"
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > "RogerJones" <gday_testmailbox01@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Any good motherboard recommendation for dual core processor?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Roger
    >
    > For AMD dual core, any 939 (with latest bios) will do fine. The trick is how
    > to install latest bios.

    Go to this page, select "CPU" from the pulldown menu. Then
    "AMD Athlon 64 X2" for CPU type.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    A8N-E ALL 1004
    A8N-SLI ALL 1008
    A8N-SLI Deluxe ALL 1010
    A8N-SLI Premium ALL 1005
    A8V ALL 0205
    A8V Deluxe ALL 1013

    The A8V-E with K8T890 is not on the list for dual core support.

    Paul

    In article <1121808222.810046.47590@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:

    > I take it if I buy a MOBO with an older firmware, and buy a CPU which
    > is supported with newer firmware, there is no way to flash the bios
    > with this new CPU? I would need to *borrow* an older CPU? Or can I
    > underclock the CPU and flash the bios?

    It depends.

    For the dual core processors, the claim is, you can "limp" along,
    as long as the BIOS supports other rev.E processors.

    For the single core processors, sometimes placing a single DIMM
    in slot B1 (which is 64 bit mode, and B1 is a DIMM slot on the
    primary bus) is enough to get the board to POST. The cpusupport
    page actually contains comments for some processors, that the
    B1 DIMM trick will work.

    As a general rule, Asus BIOS are not set up to be flexible with
    respect to unknown processors. Rather than simply select a low
    voltage and frequency, and leave the cache disabled etc., the
    BIOS simply refuses to go any further when it runs into a CPU
    ID it doesn't recognize.

    Whether a clever person could write a BIOS that could run any
    processor in "valet" mode, is anyone's guess. On the processors
    I've worked on, the processor designers are usually pretty good
    at making the processor come up in a usable state (like all caches
    disabled), and in principle, it really should not be that tough
    for the BIOS to provide limited functionality. I guess Asus
    doesn't see it that way.

    Paul

    On my p3v4x at BIOS 1003, the motherboard doesn't identify my PIII 933.
    Says unknown/invalid. But everything works just fine, and the BIOS
    does allow me to select 933MHZ w/proper settings.

    Reason I added my question is I was looking at getting a used 845
    chipset mother board such as the P4B or P4X* and putting a new
    processor on it. Cheap upgrade so I didn't have to buy new memory
    (PC133) etc... I noticed the motherboards supported newer CPU's but
    needed newer firmware than these motherboards on eBay had. Of course,
    these motherboards wouldn't support Hyperthreading either.

    I guess the question with a dual core is a bit different.

    In article <1121869275.798374.234370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:

    > On my p3v4x at BIOS 1003, the motherboard doesn't identify my PIII 933.
    > Says unknown/invalid. But everything works just fine, and the BIOS
    > does allow me to select 933MHZ w/proper settings.
    >
    > Reason I added my question is I was looking at getting a used 845
    > chipset mother board such as the P4B or P4X* and putting a new
    > processor on it. Cheap upgrade so I didn't have to buy new memory
    > (PC133) etc... I noticed the motherboards supported newer CPU's but
    > needed newer firmware than these motherboards on eBay had. Of course,
    > these motherboards wouldn't support Hyperthreading either.
    >
    > I guess the question with a dual core is a bit different.

    I have a P4B motherboard. You would want a revision 1.5 or later
    motherboard, if you want the motherboard to be equipped with
    the (new at the time) AGP_WARN circuit. That circuit prevents
    a miskeyed (older) video card, from burning the motherboard
    Northbridge. If you plan on using only newer video cards (say
    two or three years old), that would not be a concern.

    When I got my P4B, the advice I got, was not to bother buying
    more than a 1.8GHz processor. The reason being, the RAM on the
    board is so slow, upping the core frequency of the processor
    won't really help a lot. My P4B still has its 1.8GHz processor.

    DDR memory is cheap right now (at least the last time I looked
    it was). The price of DDR memory is going to go up soon, so
    don't wait around. Buy a couple 512MB DDR sticks, and get
    yourself a more modern motherboard than the P4B. There are
    some motherboards that have a LGA775 socket and take DDR memory
    (like a P5P800). That would be a much better investment as
    an upgrade. There are also S478 DDR motherboards, and you
    can still find S478 processors, on a site like Newegg.

    I actually got my P4B motherboard, for the very same reason
    you are proposing right now. I had 3x512MB SDRAM and didn't
    want to throw them away. I got the board quite a while ago,
    and it is past its prime. No problems with it, though.

    Paul

    Okay, thank you. I think I'm going to get one of the a8n-sli models
    and just put together a new PC, making my current PC my daughters. I
    bought a 450MHZ (?) at first, then bought the 933MHZ when the price
    dropped to around $99. Many other upgrades over the years. But this
    dog's ready to retire. It does everything well except for playing the
    very latest games.

Asus Dual Core Motherboards Processors