Second CDRW Drive Not Detected After DVD Writer Installed

I am having a strange problem with Win XP. I recently bought a DVD
burner and installed it on the second IDE channel making it a master
and my old CD Writer as slave. BIOS detects the drive ok, but when I
boot into WinXP the OS can only see the new drive (the master). I
tried switching jumpers to make my old drive the master and my new
drive the slave. Now Windows only detects my old drive.

The odd thing is that both drives are detected when I boot into the
Windows XP Recovery Console. Also, I have a Knoppix linux disk which
when booted, recognises both the CDRW and DVD drive.

What can I do to get Windows XP to recognize both my old and new
drives?

Thanks in advance for your help!.
1 answer Last reply
More about second cdrw drive detected writer installed

    "Farsbarg" <user@host.com> wrote in message
    > I am having a strange problem with Win XP. I recently bought a DVD
    > burner and installed it on the second IDE channel making it a master
    > and my old CD Writer as slave. BIOS detects the drive ok, but when I
    > boot into WinXP the OS can only see the new drive (the master). I
    > tried switching jumpers to make my old drive the master and my new
    > drive the slave. Now Windows only detects my old drive.
    >
    > The odd thing is that both drives are detected when I boot into the
    > Windows XP Recovery Console. Also, I have a Knoppix linux disk which
    > when booted, recognises both the CDRW and DVD drive.
    >
    > What can I do to get Windows XP to recognize both my old and new
    > drives?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!.

    Uninstall BOTH of them in Device Manager
    and reboot.

    XP should re-detect them properly.

Windows XP DVD Writers