Disable notification?

I'm in a college dorm just barely within range of our campus wireless...so my
laptop is always connecting and disconnecting. So, I was wondering if there
is a way in xp to disable the little connected/disconnected boxes that pop
out of the taskbar wireless connection icon. I know I could turn off
automatic connect, but it comes in really handy when I take the laptop to
class with me.

Anyways, any help would be awesome.

"tripcaught" <tripcaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in a college dorm just barely within range of our campus
> wireless...so my
> laptop is always connecting and disconnecting. So, I was wondering if
> there
> is a way in xp to disable the little connected/disconnected boxes that
> pop
> out of the taskbar wireless connection icon. I know I could turn off
> automatic connect, but it comes in really handy when I take the laptop to
> class with me.

Find this key in the Registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\{Your_Adapter_ID_Here}\Connection

Change the key "IpCheckingEnabled" from 1 to 0

Should this not have the desired effect, you can reverse it.

One way to find {Your_Adapter_ID_Here} is to look in the Event Log under
TCP/IP or to look under Services in Current Control Set (for some reason,
they seem to be enumerated here yet all the other services have more useful
titles).

KeithM

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I found this to be a helpful answer to an annoying XP problem. And it works very well when I start up XP, ie. no balloon tip for Wireless Network Connection. However when I come out of standby, up pops the same annoying balloon tip :fou: Can anyone out there suggest another registry tweak to stop this second scenario??

Btw I certainly don't want to disable all balloon tips (this is what all the other internet posts on this subject suggest) as, to say the least, it is somewhat helpful to know that my battery is getting dangerously low, or that I can safely remove my memory key or my external hard disk from its USB port...

KeithM

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I know XP is an aging and obolescent OS, but please if there's anyone out there on the web still using XP who can help me out on my above question, I'd be SSSOOOO :pt1cable: grateful

Latest posts