Fuzzy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

I have the P4C800-E deluxe M/B with a P4 3.0E processor. I recently
upgraded my memory from 512mb to 1024mb. The memory is OCZ Dual DDR
PC3200 in 4 sticks of 256. (Pt # OCZ400512V3DC-K) After installation, I
ran both Si-Soft Sandra and Everest Home Edition benchmarks and tests.
Both programs identify the memory as PC3200, however in the Everest
tests, it lists my memory as Dual PC2100 DDR. Memory read is 3891mb/s,
memory write is 1194mb/s and memory latency is 108.3 ns. Both list
memory bus speed as 2X133mhz. Isn't PC3200 supposed to run faster than
this? One of the Sandra tips says that system B/W appears to be memory
limited thus starving the CPU. Is there a bios setting I am missing? Any
advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

"Fuzzy" <vader@star_wars.com> wrote in message
>I have the P4C800-E deluxe M/B with a P4 3.0E processor. I recently
>upgraded my memory from 512mb to 1024mb. The memory is OCZ Dual DDR PC3200
>in 4 sticks of 256. (Pt # OCZ400512V3DC-K) After installation, I ran both
>Si-Soft Sandra and Everest Home Edition benchmarks and tests. Both programs
>identify the memory as PC3200, however in the Everest tests, it lists my
>memory as Dual PC2100 DDR. Memory read is 3891mb/s, memory write is
>1194mb/s and memory latency is 108.3 ns. Both list memory bus speed as
>2X133mhz. Isn't PC3200 supposed to run faster than this? One of the Sandra
>tips says that system B/W appears to be memory limited thus starving the
>CPU. Is there a bios setting I am missing? Any advice or help is greatly
>appreciated. Thanks

I would post a message at the OCZ forum and one of the OCZ techs will help
you.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Hope this helps
Ken'

Fuzzy wrote:

> I have the P4C800-E deluxe M/B with a P4 3.0E processor. I recently
> upgraded my memory from 512mb to 1024mb. The memory is OCZ Dual DDR
> PC3200 in 4 sticks of 256. (Pt # OCZ400512V3DC-K) After installation, I
> ran both Si-Soft Sandra and Everest Home Edition benchmarks and tests.
> Both programs identify the memory as PC3200, however in the Everest
> tests, it lists my memory as Dual PC2100 DDR. Memory read is 3891mb/s,
> memory write is 1194mb/s and memory latency is 108.3 ns. Both list
> memory bus speed as 2X133mhz. Isn't PC3200 supposed to run faster than
> this? One of the Sandra tips says that system B/W appears to be memory
> limited thus starving the CPU. Is there a bios setting I am missing? Any
> advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds wrong. My P4C800ED gets 5290/1723 (read/write) MB/s with the
Everest benchmark, running under XP as close to standalone as I can get.
Some thoughts:

1. Note that standalone makes a big difference with this benchmark.

2. Check that your MB's BIOS is set to use dual-channel memory mode.

3. Some MBs run slower with 4 RAM sticks than with 2; I don't recall if
this MB is one such. Try running with pairs of RAM.

4. Try memtest86.exe to check for bad RAM.
--
Cheers, Bob

Fuzzy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Bob Willard wrote:
> Fuzzy wrote:
>
>> I have the P4C800-E deluxe M/B with a P4 3.0E processor. I recently
>> upgraded my memory from 512mb to 1024mb. The memory is OCZ Dual DDR
>> PC3200 in 4 sticks of 256. (Pt # OCZ400512V3DC-K) After installation,
>> I ran both Si-Soft Sandra and Everest Home Edition benchmarks and
>> tests. Both programs identify the memory as PC3200, however in the
>> Everest tests, it lists my memory as Dual PC2100 DDR. Memory read is
>> 3891mb/s, memory write is 1194mb/s and memory latency is 108.3 ns.
>> Both list memory bus speed as 2X133mhz. Isn't PC3200 supposed to run
>> faster than this? One of the Sandra tips says that system B/W appears
>> to be memory limited thus starving the CPU. Is there a bios setting I
>> am missing? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
>

> Sounds wrong. My P4C800ED gets 5290/1723 (read/write) MB/s with the
> Everest benchmark, running under XP as close to standalone as I can get.
> Some thoughts:
>
> 1. Note that standalone makes a big difference with this benchmark.
>
> 2. Check that your MB's BIOS is set to use dual-channel memory mode.
>
> 3. Some MBs run slower with 4 RAM sticks than with 2; I don't recall if
> this MB is one such. Try running with pairs of RAM.
>
> 4. Try memtest86.exe to check for bad RAM.
Thanks all for the help. Went to OCZ Forum as suggested here and it was
a bios setting that was the culprit. Running in auto mode apparently
didn't "read" something right. Had to manually put dram speed to 400.
Read/write improved to 5473/1668. All is well. Thanks again.

Fuzzy wrote:
> Bob Willard wrote:
>
>> Fuzzy wrote:
>>
>>> I have the P4C800-E deluxe M/B with a P4 3.0E processor. I recently
>>> upgraded my memory from 512mb to 1024mb. The memory is OCZ Dual DDR
>>> PC3200 in 4 sticks of 256. (Pt # OCZ400512V3DC-K) After installation,
>>> I ran both Si-Soft Sandra and Everest Home Edition benchmarks and
>>> tests. Both programs identify the memory as PC3200, however in the
>>> Everest tests, it lists my memory as Dual PC2100 DDR. Memory read is
>>> 3891mb/s, memory write is 1194mb/s and memory latency is 108.3 ns.
>>> Both list memory bus speed as 2X133mhz. Isn't PC3200 supposed to run
>>> faster than this? One of the Sandra tips says that system B/W appears
>>> to be memory limited thus starving the CPU. Is there a bios setting I
>>> am missing? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
>>

>> Sounds wrong. My P4C800ED gets 5290/1723 (read/write) MB/s with the
>> Everest benchmark, running under XP as close to standalone as I can get.
>> Some thoughts:
>>
>> 1. Note that standalone makes a big difference with this benchmark.
>>
>> 2. Check that your MB's BIOS is set to use dual-channel memory mode.
>>
>> 3. Some MBs run slower with 4 RAM sticks than with 2; I don't recall if
>> this MB is one such. Try running with pairs of RAM.
>>
>> 4. Try memtest86.exe to check for bad RAM.
>
> Thanks all for the help. Went to OCZ Forum as suggested here and it was
> a bios setting that was the culprit. Running in auto mode apparently
> didn't "read" something right. Had to manually put dram speed to 400.
> Read/write improved to 5473/1668. All is well. Thanks again.

Glad to have helped.
--
Cheers, Bob

TRENDING THREADS