P4C800-E Delux, winxp set up cant find ide drive

drive shows up in bios, but when runnin win xp set up does not see the
drive, any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 delux winxp find drive

    Have your formatted it yet?
    Start -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
    (Admin tools are in the control panel too).

    "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > drive shows up in bios, but when runnin win xp set up does not see the
    > drive, any ideas?

    formated, took it from my other computer

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:dbn3kn$4k1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Have your formatted it yet?
    > Start -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
    > (Admin tools are in the control panel too).
    >
    > "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> drive shows up in bios, but when runnin win xp set up does not see the
    >> drive, any ideas?

    Need info then...

    Is the drive a SATA disc and is the controller set to RAID mode? If so, do
    you have the RAID drivers installed? Alternatively, set it to non-raid if
    that is the case.

    Can you see the drive in Device Manager? If not, it is a bios config issue &
    likely either set as RAID, or maybe set as SATA Native mode and / or you do
    not have device drivers installed.

    Can you see the drive in Disk Maanagement? If yes then let us know + what
    file system(s) does it have?

    If the drive is not a SATA disc, then let us know is it IDE? Is it set to
    Master or Slave or Cable Select? What make is the drive? Where is it plugged
    in?

    - Tim

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:dbnbid$km9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Need info then...
    >
    > Is the drive a SATA disc and is the controller set to RAID mode? If so, do
    > you have the RAID drivers installed? Alternatively, set it to non-raid if
    > that is the case.

    connected 2xIDE to IDE raid controller, configured raid in bios, bios
    recoqnized raid shows it as functional, started win xp set up and pressed F6
    to load the drivers with no effect set up was continuing instullation until
    the message that setup cant detect any drives, then tried to connect single
    IDE drive to main IDE controller, same thing, drive shows up in bios but
    when running win xp set up it cant detect the drive.
    Tried both ways RAID mode and non raid.

    > Can you see the drive in Device Manager? If not, it is a bios config issue
    > & likely either set as RAID, or maybe set as SATA Native mode and / or you
    > do not have device drivers installed.

    cant go to device manager because win xp is not installed, win xp set up
    cant detect the drive, and the drive shows in bios fine

    > Can you see the drive in Disk Maanagement? If yes then let us know + what
    > file system(s) does it have?
    win xp not installed

    > If the drive is not a SATA disc, then let us know is it IDE? Is it set to
    > Master or Slave or Cable Select? What make is the drive? Where is it
    > plugged in?

    in 2x ide mode one drive is master, second one slave, shows as functional
    raid in bios but win xp set up cant detect it and F6 does not works,
    connected to IDE raid controller, 2 ibm 40 gig IDE drives

    in 1 IDE drive mode, set as master, connected to main IDE controller,
    sumsung 120 gig drive

    > - Tim
    >

    > "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> formated, took it from my other computer
    >>
    >> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Have your formatted it yet?
    >>> Start -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
    >>> (Admin tools are in the control panel too).
    >>>
    >>> "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message

    If the RAID controller is in RAID mode, you must install the RAID drivers.
    When Windows setup starts, press F6 early and often.
    Make sure you have up to date RAID drivers, and since this is a new install,
    check your BIOS version too.
    Make sure you see visual confirmation that the RAID drivers have been
    loaded.
    You will be asked a second time if you have drivers to install if the first
    drivers have been loaded correctly.
    If you continue setup without the RAID drivers you cannot expect windows to
    be able to see your drives. The exact behaviour you will get when only 1
    drive is installed depends on the controller, but you are invariably
    required to install the driver.

    HTH & BOL
    - Tim

    > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> Need info then...
    >>
    >> Is the drive a SATA disc and is the controller set to RAID mode? If so,
    >> do you have the RAID drivers installed? Alternatively, set it to non-raid
    >> if that is the case.
    >>
    > connected 2xIDE to IDE raid controller, configured raid in bios, bios
    > recoqnized raid shows it as functional, started win xp set up and pressed
    > F6 to load the drivers with no effect set up was continuing instullation
    > until the message that setup cant detect any drives, then tried to connect
    > single IDE drive to main IDE controller, same thing, drive shows up in
    > bios but when running win xp set up it cant detect the drive.
    > Tried both ways RAID mode and non raid.
    >

    >> Can you see the drive in Device Manager? If not, it is a bios config
    >> issue & likely either set as RAID, or maybe set as SATA Native mode and /
    >> or you do not have device drivers installed.
    >
    > cant go to device manager because win xp is not installed, win xp set up
    > cant detect the drive, and the drive shows in bios fine
    >>
    >> Can you see the drive in Disk Maanagement? If yes then let us know + what
    >> file system(s) does it have?
    > win xp not installed
    >>
    >> If the drive is not a SATA disc, then let us know is it IDE? Is it set to
    >> Master or Slave or Cable Select? What make is the drive? Where is it
    >> plugged in?
    >>
    > in 2x ide mode one drive is master, second one slave, shows as functional
    > raid in bios but win xp set up cant detect it and F6 does not works,
    > connected to IDE raid controller, 2 ibm 40 gig IDE drives
    >
    > in 1 IDE drive mode, set as master, connected to main IDE controller,
    > sumsung 120 gig drive
    >

    >> - Tim
    >>

    >> "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> formated, took it from my other computer
    >>>
    >>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

    First make sure your IDE drive is connected to the IDE
    controller (connector beside the memory sockets)and not to the
    promise RAID socket.
    What I always do for a clean XP setup, I remove or disable any
    disk controller that is not needed for the boot device (RAID
    etc).
    Load set up default in the BIOS.
    Make sure your drive shows up in the BIOS screen.
    Go to Boot menue-boot device priority and check if your drive
    shows up as second boot device, 1st should be floppy.
    Reboot, and your Win XP shoudl find the drive.
    If you want to install to RAID you have to physically remove any
    non RAID disks or Win XP will set the non RAID disk as active
    boot drive.

    Good luck,
    Crashpilot

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    i followed all the steps, win xp does not see the drive
    "Crashpilot" <m.baur@gol.com> wrote in message

    > First make sure your IDE drive is connected to the IDE
    > controller (connector beside the memory sockets)and not to the
    > promise RAID socket.
    > What I always do for a clean XP setup, I remove or disable any
    > disk controller that is not needed for the boot device (RAID
    > etc).
    > Load set up default in the BIOS.
    > Make sure your drive shows up in the BIOS screen.
    > Go to Boot menue-boot device priority and check if your drive
    > shows up as second boot device, 1st should be floppy.
    > Reboot, and your Win XP shoudl find the drive.
    > If you want to install to RAID you have to physically remove any
    > non RAID disks or Win XP will set the non RAID disk as active
    > boot drive.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Crashpilot

    > Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final
    > * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    > * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    Igorek, on other topic... what vide card you're using with thin mo/bo?
    Can you access freely BIOS? I have a problem with this mo/bo
    using ATi Radeon 9550 Shappire card....

    >i followed all the steps, win xp does not see the drive
    > "Crashpilot" <m.baur@gol.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> First make sure your IDE drive is connected to the IDE
    >> controller (connector beside the memory sockets)and not to the
    >> promise RAID socket.
    >> What I always do for a clean XP setup, I remove or disable any
    >> disk controller that is not needed for the boot device (RAID
    >> etc).
    >> Load set up default in the BIOS.
    >> Make sure your drive shows up in the BIOS screen.
    >> Go to Boot menue-boot device priority and check if your drive
    >> shows up as second boot device, 1st should be floppy.
    >> Reboot, and your Win XP shoudl find the drive.
    >> If you want to install to RAID you have to physically remove any
    >> non RAID disks or Win XP will set the non RAID disk as active
    >> boot drive.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> Crashpilot

    >> Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final
    >> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    >> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    using radeon 9700, can access bios fine, but when installing win xp F6 does
    not work

    "-;)" <-;)@msn.net> wrote in message news:3kq800FvbkvmU1@individual.net...
    > Igorek, on other topic... what vide card you're using with thin mo/bo?
    > Can you access freely BIOS? I have a problem with this mo/bo
    > using ATi Radeon 9550 Shappire card....
    >

    > "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>i followed all the steps, win xp does not see the drive
    >> "Crashpilot" <m.baur@gol.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> First make sure your IDE drive is connected to the IDE
    >>> controller (connector beside the memory sockets)and not to the
    >>> promise RAID socket.
    >>> What I always do for a clean XP setup, I remove or disable any
    >>> disk controller that is not needed for the boot device (RAID
    >>> etc).
    >>> Load set up default in the BIOS.
    >>> Make sure your drive shows up in the BIOS screen.
    >>> Go to Boot menue-boot device priority and check if your drive
    >>> shows up as second boot device, 1st should be floppy.
    >>> Reboot, and your Win XP shoudl find the drive.
    >>> If you want to install to RAID you have to physically remove any
    >>> non RAID disks or Win XP will set the non RAID disk as active
    >>> boot drive.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck,
    >>> Crashpilot

    >>> Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final
    >>> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    >>> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    Thanks... I've managed to sort out my problems.

    > using radeon 9700, can access bios fine, but when installing win xp F6
    > does not work
    >

    > "-;)" <-;)@msn.net> wrote in message news:3kq800FvbkvmU1@individual.net...
    >> Igorek, on other topic... what vide card you're using with thin mo/bo?
    >> Can you access freely BIOS? I have a problem with this mo/bo
    >> using ATi Radeon 9550 Shappire card....
    >>

    >> "Igoryek" <victoriov@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>i followed all the steps, win xp does not see the drive
    >>> "Crashpilot" <m.baur@gol.com> wrote in message

Asus BIOS Windows XP Motherboards