Old HD in New Computers

.. Worse led to worse and there was a short and the MB got fired.

Was going to build a new one but instead just ordered a new computer
put together but not that much difference.

I wonder if there is a way I can use my old HD as the main drive.

Both computers at MSI MBs, one about 11/2 years old with a 2ghz chip.
This one a new MSI MB with a 3ghz chip

WP Pro on the old drive with all the updates before SP2

Obviously I didn't get a chance to delete any of the drivers on the
old drives.

I know if I try Windows will complain but is there anyway I can get
around it? Hate to have to reinstall everything.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

John Johnson wrote:
> . Worse led to worse and there was a short and the MB got fired.
>
> Was going to build a new one but instead just ordered a new computer
> put together but not that much difference.
>
> I wonder if there is a way I can use my old HD as the main drive.
>
> Both computers at MSI MBs, one about 11/2 years old with a 2ghz
> chip. This one a new MSI MB with a 3ghz chip
>
> WP Pro on the old drive with all the updates before SP2
>
> Obviously I didn't get a chance to delete any of the drivers on the
> old drives.
>
> I know if I try Windows will complain but is there anyway I can get
> around it? Hate to have to reinstall everything.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:58:18 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
>How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
>[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

Thanks.

Thanks ther procedures worked despite warnings from some it never
would. I few problems had to install a few things but so far okay.
Installed SP2 without any noticable problems yet.

One problem happen, the drive wouldn't boot yesterday because the
file Window/System32/Config/System was damaged.

I tried to do to the repair install, both ways and I did not get that
second repair install screen, just one that warned that it would write
over all of Windows and wipeout my settings etc. I did not proceed.

I manged to use Ontrack recovery (from another drive I had) and
found the file and copied it to the folder and again it workd.