Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Windows 7 doesn'T see XP

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2011 8:01:27 AM

Hi, I nave installed W7 on a Lenovo T61 where was installed also Windows Xp, so that I can have a dual boot option.
Everything works fine but the strange thing is that when I boot Windows Xp I can see my Windows 7 partition but when I boot W7 there's no Windows Xp partition!
Please help!

More about : windows

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2011 1:33:45 PM

Check in disk management.

Choose Start–>Control Panel to open Control Panel.
Click the System Maintenance link, and then click Administrative Tools to open the Administrative tools folder.
Click Computer Management to open the Computer Management window.
In the Computer Management pane, expand Storage, and then click Disk Management.

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2011 1:46:28 PM

...and assign a drive letter to the XP partition. But, TBH, it would be better to have the OSes on separate partitions that were invisible to the other OS and put and shared data on a third partition shared between them.
Related resources
January 30, 2011 9:57:08 PM

Best answer selected by magicool.
January 30, 2011 9:58:31 PM

Is it also possible to change partition sizes? Or Should I use a Partition Magic software?
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2011 10:20:10 PM

Under Win 7, you can change partition size using the same Disk management tool.
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2011 10:42:43 PM

If you create a dual boot system with Windows7 and Windows XP it is important to make the Windows 7 partition invisible to the Windows XP system as otherwise Windows XP will delete all of the Windows 7 restore points every time it is used.
!