ASUS A8N-E

Hi,
I'm looking for a new motherboard,
Not to bothered about Sli So I've been looking at the Asus A8N-E PCI-E, I
like the price £67.83 inc vat at
http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1841
And it seems to get pretty good reviews.
Just wondered if anyone had one and what there experience of it is, or if
anyone could recomend something suitable within the same sort of price give
or take of few quid.
I have a
AMD 64 3200+ (939) Processor
XFX 256mb GeForce 6800 gt Graphics
2 x 512MB Elixir DDR400 PC3200 RAM
80 & 120 gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 Hard Drives
Pioneer DVD/CD Writer

Any comments will be welcome.

Cheers
Bush
5 answers Last reply
More about asus

    I have not seen any reviews of the A8N-E, they are too busy reviewing the
    DFI Ultra board .. over and over ....

    I built a system a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it and would
    recommend it to anyone. The DFI Ultra board is what gets everyones panties
    in a bunch becasue it is such the OC'er.. it is not for me though.. too
    much tweaking involved. I wanted a stable relaible inexpensive MB and that
    is why I got the A8N-E. I have gotten a 10% OC with this board and am happy
    with that.

    http://forums.anandtech.com/ seems to have more people with this board ..
    do a search in that forum.

    "Bushmeister" <bushmeister@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a new motherboard,
    > Not to bothered about Sli So I've been looking at the Asus A8N-E PCI-E, I
    > like the price £67.83 inc vat at
    > http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1841
    > And it seems to get pretty good reviews.
    > Just wondered if anyone had one and what there experience of it is, or if
    > anyone could recomend something suitable within the same sort of price
    > give or take of few quid.
    > I have a
    > AMD 64 3200+ (939) Processor
    > XFX 256mb GeForce 6800 gt Graphics
    > 2 x 512MB Elixir DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    > 80 & 120 gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 Hard Drives
    > Pioneer DVD/CD Writer
    >
    > Any comments will be welcome.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Bush

    "Bushmeister" <bushmeister@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a new motherboard,
    > Not to bothered about Sli So I've been looking at the Asus A8N-E PCI-E, I
    > like the price £67.83 inc vat at
    > http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1841
    > And it seems to get pretty good reviews.
    > Just wondered if anyone had one and what there experience of it is, or if
    > anyone could recomend something suitable within the same sort of price
    > give or take of few quid.
    > I have a
    > AMD 64 3200+ (939) Processor
    > XFX 256mb GeForce 6800 gt Graphics
    > 2 x 512MB Elixir DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    > 80 & 120 gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 Hard Drives
    > Pioneer DVD/CD Writer
    >
    > Any comments will be welcome.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Bush

    An excellent board, although like all such boards, the HSF on the NF4
    chipset is noisy. I replaced it (before MB installation) with a passive
    Zalman HS. If you plan on OC'ing, you will need to blow some air on a
    passive HS for the chipset.

    Antec 3700-BQE w/Nexus 120 @12V, Seasonic S12-380, Asus A8N-E w/ ZM-NB47J
    chip cooler, AMD64 3500+ .90 w/XP-120 & Nexus 120 @12V, 1GB (2 x 512)
    Corsair 3200C2PT, 2 x WD 160 GB SATA, Plextor PX-716A, Leadtek 6600GT
    w/Zalman VF700 AlCu @5V, Audigy2 ZS, AcoustiPack Std.

    The DFI board only has 2 PCI slots, the A8N-E has 3.
    I have a pair of DVB-T digital TV tuners and a SCSI
    card that are PCI so I needed 3. One day I hope to
    see a PCI-Express card other than a video card, but
    I think the next bus interface might replace PCI-E
    before that happens.

    The A8N-E doesn't have firewire, and early revs of the
    board have a loud chipset fan that is prone to failure
    within the first month of use, although ASUS are sending
    a free replacement to all who ask.

    Had there been any A8N-SLI Platinum boards in the country
    I would have got it due to the heatpipe on the northbridge
    instead of a cooler, and the Firewire.

    As for overclocking, it posted a 3000+ (1.8GHz) at 2.25GHz
    with no tweaking of voltages in the BIOS, simply dropping
    HTT to 4X and FSB to 250MHz. The DFI Ultra can supply much
    more memory voltage which makes it good at overclocking the
    Winbond BH5 chips, however with the 3.0V max of the A8N-E
    you can overclock Samsung TCCD very well but not BH5.

    "John Saunders" <news1@saunders.id.au> wrote in message
    > The DFI board only has 2 PCI slots, the A8N-E has 3.
    > I have a pair of DVB-T digital TV tuners and a SCSI
    > card that are PCI so I needed 3. One day I hope to
    > see a PCI-Express card other than a video card, but
    > I think the next bus interface might replace PCI-E
    > before that happens.
    >
    > The A8N-E doesn't have firewire, and early revs of the
    > board have a loud chipset fan that is prone to failure
    > within the first month of use, although ASUS are sending
    > a free replacement to all who ask.
    >
    > Had there been any A8N-SLI Platinum boards in the country
    > I would have got it due to the heatpipe on the northbridge
    > instead of a cooler, and the Firewire.
    >
    > As for overclocking, it posted a 3000+ (1.8GHz) at 2.25GHz
    > with no tweaking of voltages in the BIOS, simply dropping
    > HTT to 4X and FSB to 250MHz. The DFI Ultra can supply much
    > more memory voltage which makes it good at overclocking the
    > Winbond BH5 chips, however with the 3.0V max of the A8N-E
    > you can overclock Samsung TCCD very well but not BH5.

    Good point about the firewire, but my Audigy2 ZS has a firewire port
    included.

    "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have not seen any reviews of the A8N-E, they are too busy reviewing the
    >DFI Ultra board .. over and over ....
    >
    > I built a system a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it and would
    > recommend it to anyone. The DFI Ultra board is what gets everyones
    > panties in a bunch becasue it is such the OC'er.. it is not for me
    > though.. too much tweaking involved. I wanted a stable relaible
    > inexpensive MB and that is why I got the A8N-E. I have gotten a 10% OC
    > with this board and am happy with that.
    >
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/ seems to have more people with this board ..
    > do a search in that forum.
    >

    > "Bushmeister" <bushmeister@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm looking for a new motherboard,
    >> Not to bothered about Sli So I've been looking at the Asus A8N-E PCI-E, I
    >> like the price £67.83 inc vat at
    >> http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1841
    >> And it seems to get pretty good reviews.
    >> Just wondered if anyone had one and what there experience of it is, or if
    >> anyone could recomend something suitable within the same sort of price
    >> give or take of few quid.
    >> I have a
    >> AMD 64 3200+ (939) Processor
    >> XFX 256mb GeForce 6800 gt Graphics
    >> 2 x 512MB Elixir DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    >> 80 & 120 gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 Hard Drives
    >> Pioneer DVD/CD Writer
    >>
    >> Any comments will be welcome.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Bush

    I've had this board for four months running with a stable 20% OC. I have
    had no problems, although, if I'm not mistaken, I have heard reports of a
    loud chipset fan which I have not experienced.

    good luck,
    john

Asus Motherboards Product