Hi
I wanna upgrade my power supply , and I was just wondering if any PSU
would fit in my system. I got a dell 4600 (1 year old) basically stock (I
added a nVidia 6800 video card and a Audigy 2 ZS sound card).

Thanks B@ZOOKA

Best way to know is to open the case and look at the PSU.
Dell is known for the usage of proprietary hardware that
only fit in their computer cases, an OEM over the counter
power supply from the nearest computer store might not
fit in the case, due to the design of the Dell case.

Welcome to the world of Dell!

Google for "ATX power supply" and you'll find at least one
page that shows the standard size (form factor) . You can
open your Dell 4600 and measure the size and layout. You
might also be able to find recommendations at
www.antec-inc.com or another PSU mfg'r for replacement PSU
for the Dell 4600.
Google for "atx power supply dell 4600" and you'll find a
number of answers.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=202430

BTW, wanna isn't a word, computers are dumb, perhaps that is
why you don't have much luck with Google, poor spelling.
Try "want to" next time.

"B@ZOOKA" <BZOOKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Hi
| I wanna upgrade my power supply , and I was just
wondering if any PSU
| would fit in my system. I got a dell 4600 (1 year old)
basically stock (I
| added a nVidia 6800 video card and a Audigy 2 ZS sound
card).

| Thanks B@ZOOKA

PC Power and Cooling, which sells top of the line power supplies, has an
entire line of replacement Dell power supplies designed to fit into Dell
systems. No need for removing the existing PS to measure it -- shop by the
model number of your Dell.

Go to

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/index.htm

and enter your Dell model number in the Power Supply selector.

[I have no personal, professional, or financial interest in PC Power and
Cooling]

steve

"B@ZOOKA" <BZOOKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I wanna upgrade my power supply , and I was just wondering if any
PSU
> would fit in my system. I got a dell 4600 (1 year old) basically stock (I
> added a nVidia 6800 video card and a Audigy 2 ZS sound card).
>

> Thanks B@ZOOKA

Why considering a power supply upgrade? If looking at
watts, well, brand name power supplies rated at 250 watts
would probably be rated at 350+ watts if using the spec system
of so many clone power supply vendors. That original Dell
supply is usually more than sufficient form most users.
Often the Dell supply contains other critical and essential
functions that are too often 'forgotten' by clone power supply
dumping. How to sell 'bigger' wattage power supplies at less
than $70 retail? Hype a wattage number beyond what the supply
really outputs AND forgot to include other essential
functions.

Too many assemblers say, "It works fine now. Therefore it
must contain everything required." First learn what a power
supply must provide and that too many third party supplies can
forget to include. Too many power supply upgrades end up
being power supply downgrades.

B@ZOOKA wrote:
> Hi
> I wanna upgrade my power supply , and I was just wondering if
> any PSU would fit in my system. I got a dell 4600 (1 year old)
> basically stock (I added a nVidia 6800 video card and a Audigy
> 2 ZS sound card).

Also IIRC a couple of the wires in the MB power connector header are
swapped. Double check wire colors and voltages!!!