Unique Network setup - wireless /w wired

AC

hello to all,

I'm new to newsgroups but I've got my wireless working fine, maybe I can
help some of you to figure out your problems but here's mine.

I have a house wide LAN with the main wired connection to my ISP in one
room(office) and a wirelessly connected computer in the other(livingroom).
What I'd like to do is connect my Xbox to the wired connection of the
computer in the livingroom and have it able to connect to the Internet
through the wireless connection of that computer. also could I connect a
hub to the wireless connection in order to extend the LAN. I'd like to be
able to have LAN parties but the office is too small to allow many
connections, and most of my clan friends don't have wireless connections.

Any suggestions?

TIA, AC

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"AC" <ac@victoriahosting.com> wrote in message
> hello to all,
>
> I'm new to newsgroups but I've got my wireless working fine, maybe I
> can
> help some of you to figure out your problems but here's mine.
>
> I have a house wide LAN with the main wired connection to my ISP in one
> room(office) and a wirelessly connected computer in the other(livingroom).
> What I'd like to do is connect my Xbox to the wired connection of the
> computer in the livingroom and have it able to connect to the Internet
> through the wireless connection of that computer. also could I connect a
> hub to the wireless connection in order to extend the LAN. I'd like to be
> able to have LAN parties but the office is too small to allow many
> connections, and most of my clan friends don't have wireless connections.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA, AC

You can put a second network card in the PC downstairs and connect it to the
Xbox using a crossover cable. Assuming you are using windows XP, you can
then bridge the network connections connections.

Easiest way would be to buy a wireless client such as a DWL 810+
http://www.d-link.com/products/?sec=0&pid=21 and plug it into a hub or
switch (that's what I do but use the DWL 700AP which has been replaced by
the DWL810+)

AC

Hey thanks for your help on this one I did a little research after I tried
the main setup that you describes and had some problems with the DHCP
process, seems my wireless wouldn't autorun in Compatibility mode so this
article helped greatly, it actually describes what I wanted to do.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx

Thanks for your help again Tony, hope this helps someone else in the future.