HD required on primary mobo IDE channel?

O Great Motherboard Gurus!

I have an A7N8X Deluxe, and currently have a dual boot system: Win 98
on a 60GB Maxtor connected to the primary IDE channel on the
motherboard, and a 160GB HDD connected to an IDE channel on a Promise
add-on PCI card.

If I get a big-a** HDD to replace the 60GB drive, say a 200GB, then
Win98 won't see it if connected to the mainboard, but it will if I
connect it to the Promise PCI card.

So basically, will my computer work fine if I buy a new big drive like
that, transfer the current Win98SE FAT32 partition to a similar one on
the new drive, reserve the rest for NTFS space, and connect the new
drive to the add-on Promise card? That would leave nothing but optical
drives hooked up to the mainboard--would that be all right?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Papageno wrote:

> So basically, will my computer work fine if I buy a new big drive like
> that, transfer the current Win98SE FAT32 partition to a similar one on
> the new drive, reserve the rest for NTFS space, and connect the new
> drive to the add-on Promise card? That would leave nothing but optical
> drives hooked up to the mainboard--would that be all right?

Provided you set your boot order in the BIOS correctly there's no reason it
shouldn't. My old A7V (classic) only had optical drives on the ATA66
controller, and my big ATA100 hard drives on the Promise controller. Set
the boot order to "SCSI then ATA" (IIRC) and voila.

James
--
Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
(Unknown source)

"Papageno" <papageno@easystreet.com> wrote in message
> O Great Motherboard Gurus!
>
> I have an A7N8X Deluxe, and currently have a dual boot system: Win 98
> on a 60GB Maxtor connected to the primary IDE channel on the
> motherboard, and a 160GB HDD connected to an IDE channel on a Promise
> add-on PCI card.
>
> If I get a big-a** HDD to replace the 60GB drive, say a 200GB, then
> Win98 won't see it if connected to the mainboard, but it will if I
> connect it to the Promise PCI card.
>
> So basically, will my computer work fine if I buy a new big drive like
> that, transfer the current Win98SE FAT32 partition to a similar one on
> the new drive, reserve the rest for NTFS space, and connect the new
> drive to the add-on Promise card? That would leave nothing but optical
> drives hooked up to the mainboard--would that be all right?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, WIN98 will not be able to "see" NTFS partitions.