Xp pro, boot failures after after install SP2.

This alerts(and asks for hints)users to problems that
appear after the installation of SP2 on XP.

1st case, a laptop, the client has been using an Aopen
optical mouse -USB port, successfully for the past year.
Just last week we loaded SP2. Suddenly the machine shuts
down and goes into a cyclic rebooting attempt. Only
solution was either return to pre SP2 or get a Microsoft
Mouse!!!. Yep, the Aopen is not on the compatability
list, but its been workin fine for the past year -until
the arrival of SP2.

2nd case, a desktop, been working fine for 4 months with
a wireless Lan ( PCI 802.11g, utililising a Texas
instruments TNET W1130GVF)- every thing running smooth
until upgrade to SP2. Now the machine fails to boot.
Restore to pre SP2, everything works again. Yep, the TI
device is not on the compatability list, but its been
workin fine for the past 4 months -until the arrival of
SP2.

so far no updated drivers are evident in the market
place.

The moral of this story- dont rush into SP2,

rgds,

Many problems have been fixed by reinstalling the drivers for the device
that is no longer working. This means, try reinstalling the chipset
drivers for the laptop and try reinstalling the wireless network card
drivers for the desktop.

----
Nathan McNulty

"Loosingmycool" wrote:

> This alerts(and asks for hints)users to problems that
> appear after the installation of SP2 on XP.
>
> 1st case, a laptop, the client has been using an Aopen
> optical mouse -USB port, successfully for the past year.
> Just last week we loaded SP2. Suddenly the machine shuts
> down and goes into a cyclic rebooting attempt. Only
> solution was either return to pre SP2 or get a Microsoft
> Mouse!!!. Yep, the Aopen is not on the compatability
> list, but its been workin fine for the past year -until
> the arrival of SP2.
>
> 2nd case, a desktop, been working fine for 4 months with
> a wireless Lan ( PCI 802.11g, utililising a Texas
> instruments TNET W1130GVF)- every thing running smooth
> until upgrade to SP2. Now the machine fails to boot.
> Restore to pre SP2, everything works again. Yep, the TI
> device is not on the compatability list, but its been
> workin fine for the past 4 months -until the arrival of
> SP2.
>
> so far no updated drivers are evident in the market
> place.
>

> The moral of this story- dont rush into SP2,
>
> rgds,

I've had the same problem with a Packard Bell scanner which was originally
supplied with my Packard Bell computer. My hard drive packed up a couple of
months ago and after it was replaced I had to reload Windows and everything
else. My printer and modem came back on line with no problems but I didn't
reconnect the scanner straight away. Then I downloaded SP2 and tried to
reload my scanner driver software but Windows would have none of it. It says
that it's not digitally signed or something and when I try to install the
software anyway my system restarts. I tried to download an updated driver
from Packard Bell but Windows can't find it even when I tell it the reg
address.
Finally, when I tried to un-install SP2 it gave me dire warnings that most
of my software wouldn't work properly afterwards.

Stumped!!!

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

MS has learned that you must scan an existing install for spyware before you
think of installing SP2. Apparently some sypware will kill the upgrade. I
always use "GO-BACK pro" on my PC's and have been able to save the install
on one before I learned of this issue.

Richard.