P4C800-ED & Card Reader problems

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Howdy group,

I have a P4C800-ED mobo and a few weeks ago I installed a I/O panel
that included several USB ports, readers for various digicards, etc.

Everything worked OK for about a week and then the card readers
failed. WinXP says ... "Unknown Device". The USB ports continued to
work OK.

I took it back & got my money back. I've now installed a FRONTX I/O
panel that includes USB, 1394, etc. Working just fine.

I also purchased a external USB Card Reader. WinXP detected the card
reader OK and Windows Explorer showed several "Removable Drives". I
then "stopped" the reader & removed it without any obvious problems.

The next time I tried to use the card reader ... it died, "Unknown
Device" AGAIN!!! Also get "Unknown Device" when I try plugging the
card reader into my sons laptop.

MY USB HD, digicam & scanner all work OK in the same USB ports. The
FRONTX USB ports are connected to USB56 header on the mobo.

Maybe I've just be very unlucky with 2 card readers failing. However,
I was wondering whether it's possible that the mobo is supplying to
much power or there's some other obscure reason for the failures.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks very muchly
Barry...

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Barry, see my post that reads something like "Bad problems with Asus
boards". Your board uses the same southbridge chipset...the IC5HR to
control the USB ports and there are known problems with these blowing up and
even destroying boards. I would recommend getting a separate internal USB
card w/a front access panel (Subrent makes a nice one with 1394), and using
that.

-Steve