Wireless laptop can't see Wireless Desktop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 6, 2005 2:55:04 AM

I have almost the same problem as dfatovic posted yesterday, and I went
through the same steps but haven't fixed it yet.

I have a wireless laptop that can connect to the Internet and can see the
other wireless laptop on the network, but it cannot connect to the desktop
computer or access it's folders or printer. The desktop computer can see the
laptop.

The laptop can ping the desktop computer. NetBIOS is enabled. The printer
and all the files on the main computer are shared. There are no external
firewalls, ony the XP firewall. I disabled it on both the laptop and desktop,
but the laptop still couldn't access the desktop's resources.

Both machines are running XP Home with SP2. It has worked fine in the past,
I'm not sure what changed. Thanks for any suggestions. I went through Carey's
step by step, but it didn't help.

Alice
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 6, 2005 4:15:35 AM

Try these steps:

http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr

Carey

"Ciccu" <Ciccu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have almost the same problem as dfatovic posted yesterday, and I went
> through the same steps but haven't fixed it yet.
>
> I have a wireless laptop that can connect to the Internet and can see the
> other wireless laptop on the network, but it cannot connect to the desktop
> computer or access it's folders or printer. The desktop computer can see
> the
> laptop.
>
> The laptop can ping the desktop computer. NetBIOS is enabled. The printer
> and all the files on the main computer are shared. There are no external
> firewalls, ony the XP firewall. I disabled it on both the laptop and
> desktop,
> but the laptop still couldn't access the desktop's resources.
>
> Both machines are running XP Home with SP2. It has worked fine in the
> past,
> I'm not sure what changed. Thanks for any suggestions. I went through
> Carey's
> step by step, but it didn't help.
>
> Alice
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 7, 2005 3:09:04 AM

Thanks Carey,

I had already tried those steps before I posted.

I have fixed the network now and did so by resetting the base station and
reinstalling the the networking software. All machines can now connect to the
Internet and can see the resources on all other computers.

Full disclosure requires me to also note that I uninstalled Microsoft's
Antispyware beta on the laptop that was having problems as well as the
desktop. I'm not sure that was the issue as the other laptop on the network
still has the Antispyware product running and never had any problems
connecting to the network.

Thanks,

Alice Ciccu (MS)

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Try these steps:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr
>
> Carey
>
> "Ciccu" <Ciccu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have almost the same problem as dfatovic posted yesterday, and I went
> > through the same steps but haven't fixed it yet.
> >
> > I have a wireless laptop that can connect to the Internet and can see the
> > other wireless laptop on the network, but it cannot connect to the desktop
> > computer or access it's folders or printer. The desktop computer can see
> > the
> > laptop.
> >
> > The laptop can ping the desktop computer. NetBIOS is enabled. The printer
> > and all the files on the main computer are shared. There are no external
> > firewalls, ony the XP firewall. I disabled it on both the laptop and
> > desktop,
> > but the laptop still couldn't access the desktop's resources.
> >
> > Both machines are running XP Home with SP2. It has worked fine in the
> > past,
> > I'm not sure what changed. Thanks for any suggestions. I went through
> > Carey's
> > step by step, but it didn't help.
> >
> > Alice

Anonymous