ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB and Toshiba SDR5372 DVD Burner

I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB that has worked great for about a year.
I just bought a Toshiba SDR5372 DVD burner and I can't get it to work
reliably. I has exhibited a dazzling array of anomalies and failures.
Toshiba is leaning toward claiming it's a system incompatibility --
meaning the ASUS motherboard.

Has anyone else with this MB successfully installed a Toshiba SDR5372
DVD Burner?

jim

Paul

Splendid

In article <tl3ge19ft6fubqck1ehhhm4h08h69iv5ms@4ax.com>, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2@houston.rr.com> wrote:

> I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB that has worked great for about a year.
> I just bought a Toshiba SDR5372 DVD burner and I can't get it to work
> reliably. I has exhibited a dazzling array of anomalies and failures.
> Toshiba is leaning toward claiming it's a system incompatibility --
> meaning the ASUS motherboard.
>
> Has anyone else with this MB successfully installed a Toshiba SDR5372
> DVD Burner?
>
> jim

Review:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/195/1

Happy user comments:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135144

Are you using an 80 wire cable, from drive to motherboard ?

Paul

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:37:19 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <tl3ge19ft6fubqck1ehhhm4h08h69iv5ms@4ax.com>, jim evans
><jimsTAKEOUTnews2@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB that has worked great for about a year.
>> I just bought a Toshiba SDR5372 DVD burner and I can't get it to work
>> reliably. I has exhibited a dazzling array of anomalies and failures.
>> Toshiba is leaning toward claiming it's a system incompatibility --
>> meaning the ASUS motherboard.
>>
>> Has anyone else with this MB successfully installed a Toshiba SDR5372
>> DVD Burner?
>>
>> jim
>
>Review:
>http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/195/1
>
>Happy user comments:
>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135144
>
>Are you using an 80 wire cable, from drive to motherboard ?

Yes.

jim

Paul

Splendid

In article <08oge19ujotghjhog7uk5c6s7tcgh1ar6c@4ax.com>, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2@houston.rr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:37:19 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <tl3ge19ft6fubqck1ehhhm4h08h69iv5ms@4ax.com>, jim evans
> ><jimsTAKEOUTnews2@houston.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB that has worked great for about a year.
> >> I just bought a Toshiba SDR5372 DVD burner and I can't get it to work
> >> reliably. I has exhibited a dazzling array of anomalies and failures.
> >> Toshiba is leaning toward claiming it's a system incompatibility --
> >> meaning the ASUS motherboard.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else with this MB successfully installed a Toshiba SDR5372
> >> DVD Burner?
> >>
> >> jim
> >
> >Review:
> >http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/195/1
> >
> >Happy user comments:
> >http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135144
> >
> >Are you using an 80 wire cable, from drive to motherboard ?
>
> Yes.
>
> jim

One thing I might try, if I was you, is don't use any chipset
drivers for the IDE interface. In other words, if there is
the opportunity to use an Nvidia Nforce2 IDE driver for the
chipset, or use the default Microsoft IDE driver, use the latter
of the two. Chipset manufacturers like to write caching, bus
mastering IDE drivers, and they seldom achieve complete
compatibility in the process. While the driver may seem to be
faster than the Microsoft driver (due to them using systen
memory as a cache), there always seems to be some problem
with the results.

Even venerable drivers like the Intel IAA bus mastering driver,
has the odd corner case.

Other than that, describe your symptoms in more detail, and
perhaps someone will identify with what you are seeing.

Paul

>describe your symptoms in more detail, and
>perhaps someone will identify with what you are seeing.

I gave up, sent the drive back and bought an NEC ND-3540A.

jim