P4B DIP Settings for 2.6 GHz?

Greets, NG!

I jumped at a chance to upgrade my P4B-based system with a 2.6 GHz
processor. The board is running BIOS 1012. Asus' support site shows this
processor is supported, but the latest downloadable manual only has the DIP
settings for up to 2.4 GHz. I'd let the board run in Jumperfree mode, but I
find that the POST process is incredibly long. Does anyone know how to
specify a 2.6 GHz chip using the DIP switches?

TIA,

- PM

Paul

Splendid

In article <4gZFe.5016$d02.657969@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Praying Mantis"
<pm@garden.net> wrote:

> Greets, NG!
>
> I jumped at a chance to upgrade my P4B-based system with a 2.6 GHz
> processor. The board is running BIOS 1012. Asus' support site shows this
> processor is supported, but the latest downloadable manual only has the DIP
> settings for up to 2.4 GHz. I'd let the board run in Jumperfree mode, but I
> find that the POST process is incredibly long. Does anyone know how to
> specify a 2.6 GHz chip using the DIP switches?
>
> TIA,
>
> - PM

You can ignore the four bit frequency multiple (otherwise known
as the multiplier). Retail P4 processors are locked, so the
setting of those switches won't do anything. You can leave them
OFF if you want. Only an Intel ES (Engineering Sample) is
unlocked, and only that processor type uses the switches.

If your processor is a 2.6GHz/FSB400/512KB L2 cache P4 processor,
then to make FSB400, you need a 100MHz clock fed to the processor.
That is the "100/67/33" setting of switch positions 5 thru 9.

The JEN jumper would be in position 1-2, to enable the SWITCH.

That is what I would try.

Paul

> You can ignore the four bit frequency multiple (otherwise known
> as the multiplier). Retail P4 processors are locked, so the
> setting of those switches won't do anything. You can leave them
> OFF if you want. Only an Intel ES (Engineering Sample) is
> unlocked, and only that processor type uses the switches.
>
> If your processor is a 2.6GHz/FSB400/512KB L2 cache P4 processor,
> then to make FSB400, you need a 100MHz clock fed to the processor.
> That is the "100/67/33" setting of switch positions 5 thru 9.
>
> The JEN jumper would be in position 1-2, to enable the SWITCH.
>
> That is what I would try.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the idea! I gave it a try, but POST still takes a ridiculously
long time. I have to admit I forgot about how Intel locks their multiplier
so that was a great suggestion. At least the system does eventually start
so it's "all good"; I just can't believe Asus would have tested this
configuration and thought that an error-free POST which takes almost full
minute was acceptable.

Thanks again!

- PM

Praying Mantis wrote:
> Thanks for the idea! I gave it a try, but POST still takes a ridiculously
> long time. I have to admit I forgot about how Intel locks their multiplier
> so that was a great suggestion. At least the system does eventually start
> so it's "all good"; I just can't believe Asus would have tested this
> configuration and thought that an error-free POST which takes almost full
> minute was acceptable.

You might want to see if a newer beta BIOS is available which might fix
this..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada