General Memory Question

PB

Hello, again, all.

I have posted recently with questions regarding my A8V Deluxe board and
received some good advice. I have a more general question to those out
there who understand the myriad memory settings and their effects.

Given the choice to run 1 GB as 2x512 on the A8V Deluxe, no
overclocking, which settings would give the better performance, on
average, for general use and a little gaming?

2.5-4-4 as the product I own here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146219

or

3-3-3-8 as the other pair I own here:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146299

Thanks for the input to [my] memory.

p00lb0y

"PB" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hello, again, all.
>

> Given the choice to run 1 GB as 2x512 on the A8V Deluxe, no overclocking,
> which settings would give the better performance, on average, for general
> use and a little gaming?
>
> 2.5-4-4 as the product I own here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146219
>
> or
>
> 3-3-3-8 as the other pair I own here:
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146299

I'm guessing to some extent. This number will be between 2.5 and 3.0 and
lower is better. "CL" or something.

--
Robert T. Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 7/29/2005 1:03 AM Robert Kopp spoke:
> "PB" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello, again, all.
>>

>>Given the choice to run 1 GB as 2x512 on the A8V Deluxe, no overclocking,
>>which settings would give the better performance, on average, for general
>>use and a little gaming?
>>
>>2.5-4-4 as the product I own here:
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146219
>>
>>or
>>
>>3-3-3-8 as the other pair I own here:
>>http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146299
>>

> I'm guessing to some extent. This number will be between 2.5 and 3.0 and
> lower is better. "CL" or something.

The first one.
Cas Latency is the first and most significant timing.

PB

Daniel Mandic wrote:
> PB wrote:
>

>>3-3-3-8 as the other pair I own here:
>>http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146299
>>
>>Thanks for the input to [my] memory.
>>
>>p00lb0y
>

> 3338??? What is this? A 386SX33MMhz?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Daniel Mandic
Those are the numbers reported on the product page link. Please expand
on your reply so as to help me understand your explanation.

PB

> Those are the numbers reported on the product page link. Please
> expand on your reply so as to help me understand your explanation.
>
> PB

O.K. A small joke :)

Well, I think 3338 timing is not modern. It should be 2225!
If you OS accesses, say 235KB of data you would have to wait 3338
instead of 2225 to load. Even if the specs are telling that your
wonderful new supermodern chipset is capable of tranfering 4GB per sec.
I have 800MB per sec but my 786MB of MainRAM would not load it in one
sec. :).

I know that the specs are a theoretically speed (and praktical). But
Praktical is windows or linux, Beos and consorts and they transfer kb´s
and MB´s, but 3 or more GB´s per second!! NO.

Other, I have here 2220 timing and load mb Data (300KB-2.5MB) faster
than a AMD2700XP with 333MHz DDR RAM (not dual channel).
But I have 103MHz FSB and 1100 less of CPU MHz (1083 real MHz P3-S).

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

On 05 Aug 2005 10:12:15 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at>
wrote:

>> Those are the numbers reported on the product page link. Please
>> expand on your reply so as to help me understand your explanation.
>>
>> PB
>
>O.K. A small joke :)
>
>Well, I think 3338 timing is not modern. It should be 2225!

What I've seen in recent pricing comparisons is that the slow timing
memory is becoming more common in the ultra-cheap memory market.
CAS4, 4-4-4-10 timing, name brand memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144171

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I'd like to know how you got a zero stuffed in there, Im running kingston
hyperx ddr400 at 2.5-2-2-6 which is about its limit(on and A64 board).