Secondary IDE Channel - running in mixed modes

I'm having problems burning CDs, so I first checked the mode that the
drives are running in. I have two drives attached to the secondary IDE
channel:

* NEC DVD RW ND-2510a
* TEAC CD-W524E

In Secondary IDE Channel Properties->Advanced Settings, I find that
although both devices have Transfer Mode set to "DMA if available",
device 0 is running in PIO Mode.

(Question - how to I know which drive device 0 is?)

I've tried uninstalling the IDE channel and rebooting to re-install it.
Is it possible that one of the above drives _only_ works in PIO mode?
Or is there another problem here?

Regards,

P.

Device O is usually the one set as the master on that cable
Your manual will tell you the speed of transfer
peterk

the problem
"oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having problems burning CDs, so I first checked the mode that the
> drives are running in. I have two drives attached to the secondary IDE
> channel:
>
> * NEC DVD RW ND-2510a
> * TEAC CD-W524E
>
> In Secondary IDE Channel Properties->Advanced Settings, I find that
> although both devices have Transfer Mode set to "DMA if available",
> device 0 is running in PIO Mode.
>
> (Question - how to I know which drive device 0 is?)
>
> I've tried uninstalling the IDE channel and rebooting to re-install it.
> Is it possible that one of the above drives _only_ works in PIO mode?
> Or is there another problem here?
>
> Regards,
>
> P.

If both CD drives are connected to the same IDE channel then you will not
be able to perform drive-to-drive transfers without performing an interim
copy to the HD. This is terribly inefficient and slows the process.