CPU temperature

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2005 1:11:59 AM

I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
temperature?

--
Robert T. Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com

More about : cpu temperature

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2005 10:50:56 AM

Robert Kopp wrote:

> I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
> initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
> this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
> temperature?
>
> --
> Robert T. Kopp
> http://analytic.tripod.com

for my mind its running a little hot, depending on the exact AMD part
Tbred, palamino etc, you never mentioned over clocking or the voltage to
the cpu.
where are you reading the temp?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2005 10:50:57 AM

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Robert Kopp wrote:
>>
>> I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
>> initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on.
>> Is
>> this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
>> temperature?

for my mind its running a little hot, depending on the exact AMD part
> Tbred, palamino etc, you never mentioned over clocking or the voltage to
> the cpu.
> where are you reading the temp?

"ASUS Probe" is on the software CD supplied with the mobo. The settings are
standard (no overclocking; in fact, this board does not permit raising the
voltage to the North Bridge chip that is often required for this purpose.)

I think the XP2500+ is a Barton, and they tend to run a little hot.

The mobo temp itself is not particularly warm, less than 30C.

--
Robert T. Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com

my Barton 2500 on an A7N8X-deluxe runs at about 37 degrees idle...it is
running at 215X10.5 and the Vcore is up'd...but it is also running a
Thermaltake Volcano11 for cooling...my kids setup is on an A7N8X-X with a
2500 @200x11...stock cooling and 43 degrees idle. so you might want to make
sure it is breathing good...both are running Acrtic Silver compound between
the heatsink and die.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2005 9:10:49 PM

That is a bit warm Do you have any case fans installed?

"Robert Kopp" <koppr@hevanet.com> wrote in message
>I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
>initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
>this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
>temperature?
>

> --
> Robert T. Kopp
> http://analytic.tripod.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2005 7:15:14 AM

I am running a Intel Prescott which run hotter .this one has been on for 8
days downloading flick and stuff in a warm basement .and it runs at cpu 47
case 30.
"RonK" <imhere@home.now> wrote in message
> That is a bit warm Do you have any case fans installed?
>
> "Robert Kopp" <koppr@hevanet.com> wrote in message
>>I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
>>initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on.
>>Is this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
>>temperature?
>>

>> --
>> Robert T. Kopp
>> http://analytic.tripod.com

August 1, 2005 2:37:37 PM

"Robert Kopp" <koppr@hevanet.com> wrote in message
>I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
>initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
>this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
>temperature?
>

> --
> Robert T. Kopp
> http://analytic.tripod.com

My XP 2500 ran at the same temperature. It has a thermal limit of 85 (IIRC)
and to be honest I spent money on extra case fans, improved CPU cooling and
case exhaust blowers and none really made a great deal of difference. The
best thing you can do without spending money is to check that the CPU
heatsink and fan are not caked in dust. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it
but.

Andy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2005 7:49:14 PM

Can you check the temp in the bios menu ? It may be that you have a
not so great thermal contact application. You may want to reset the
heatsink to cpu, or at least check it. 35-45 would be more to the
normal idle temp...
Your temp is high for an idle system. Of course, this is assuming you
have adaquet airflow measures in place for the system...
regards,

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:37:37 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Robert Kopp" <koppr@hevanet.com> wrote in message
>>I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
>>initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
>>this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
>>temperature?
>>

>> --
>> Robert T. Kopp
>> http://analytic.tripod.com
>>

>My XP 2500 ran at the same temperature. It has a thermal limit of 85 (IIRC)
>and to be honest I spent money on extra case fans, improved CPU cooling and
>case exhaust blowers and none really made a great deal of difference. The
>best thing you can do without spending money is to check that the CPU
>heatsink and fan are not caked in dust. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it
>but.
>
>Andy

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2005 5:24:31 AM

I had these same questions with my new Intel 3.2 Prescott. I found
some good information here:

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

And then went to Intel's site and read the actual specs for their CPUs
and verified that this link was pretty accurate (as far as Intel goes
anyway, I'd assume the same for Athlon).

Certainly the cooler the better, but I wouldn't worry about that temp.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2005 12:17:04 AM

RonK wrote:

> That is a bit warm Do you have any case fans installed?
>
> "Robert Kopp" <koppr@hevanet.com> wrote in message
> >I have an A7N8X-E motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500 processor. After
> >initial warmup, it runs at 55C for as long as the computer is turned on. Is
> >this acceptable, or does it warrant aggressive measures to reduce the
> >temperature?
> >

> > --
> > Robert T. Kopp
> > http://analytic.tripod.com

Running a P4 3.00GHz pentium Northwood here, with the standard Intel
heatsink and fan, and the chip temp usually runs at 2 to 5 deg. C above
board temp. At this moment, m/b temp is 21 deg C, chip is 23 deg C. and
the computer has been accessing the net for some hours.

The thermal contact between chip and h/s is critical, and the first
thing I would do with yours is to remove and clean the chip and h/s
according to Arctic Silver specs, then use that compound as instructed
to reassemble the h/s. There were methods of spreading the compound
promulgated which were wrong, like spreading the compound with a credit
card. This would inevitably leave air-filled voids in the compound.
The correct way is to place a small amount of compound in the centre of
the chip, like a little cow-pat, about the size of a grain of rice or a
little bigger, and lower the h/s onto the chip, allowing the compound to
spread out under the pressure from the h/s. This should ensure no air
entrapment, and give good heat transfer.

Colin D.
!