eide addin controllers

Hi, I have an A7V8X mobo, and am thinking of adding in a Koutech
IO-PIR133 PCI IDE Controller Card RAID 0/1/0+1 in order to add 4
more ide devices (extra cd drive, extra HDD's to run linux
beside win2K, general space, etc.). Is this card going to give
me trouble (i.e. try to take over the boot order, or something)?

Thanks

- elmar

No - check its specs (may nned BIOS enable interupt 19, depending).
I've three IDE DVD burners and 4 HDs and have had up to three of the
things (PROMISE & SYBA) going simultaneously on the PCI bus. Nice for
burning.

Full Name wrote:
> Hi, I have an A7V8X mobo, and am thinking of adding in a Koutech
> IO-PIR133 PCI IDE Controller Card RAID 0/1/0+1 in order to add 4
> more ide devices (extra cd drive, extra HDD's to run linux
> beside win2K, general space, etc.). Is this card going to give
> me trouble (i.e. try to take over the boot order, or something)?
>
> Thanks
>
> - elmar

In article <1122852422.347744.275090
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, gjerrell@ij.net says...
> No problems - http://www.syba.com/product/43/index.html
so http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
Item=N82E16815124001 will do it (even though I don't use RAID)?
If so, great! As I said, it's a win2K box running on an asus
A7V8X, so I want to be sure I don't burn anything out or lock up
the system.

- elmar

p.s. now to find a stick of 512M RAM for the mobo as well....

Newegg's been down for awhile - server problem. Just lost my ATA
Maxtor 160G this morning. Had it RAIDED with a WD 160G for awhile on a
PATA RAID SYBA. The WD died on that card under warantee (replaced 3
times before they got it right). That's also when I gave up RAID, and
shortly after went back to MB EIDE connectors. The dead Maxtor has
been going for 3 months since the WD - which lasted maybe 2 years, an
unregistered drive, but seems shorter. Serial# was way out in left
field according to Maxtor's RMA dept. Both were used in video
encoding, though I emailed Maxtor I'll be buying Seagate from now on.
Don't exactly trust the replacement WD, either, but will have to see
how that goes.

Moral of my story - raiding with "inexpensive, bargain, or BestBuy
90day waranty drives", and, (unmatched) ATA drives may (or may not)
prove hazardous to their lifespan.

Beyond raiding, nah, shouldn't be any worry there - SYBA (presume
that's what you're looking at on NewEgg) is a funcard. Anything under
$10-$15 that works well enough and without problems is fun my book.
You'll get the usual new device recognition boot up for the included
CD.

Good luck in the RAM - prices have been fantastic lately. Picked up
512M recently for $30 on NewEgg, PCQ or somesuch, where there's a lot
of it deeply discounted in the returned section. Paid almost $80 not
long ago, though it was GEIL's value series. Have yet to test the new
stuff timings and slotting.