BTX is coming

Husky wrote:
> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.

Should we hold out for XTX, due out in 2073?

LOL

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in
just
> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Please get in contact with me as soon as possible..

I would love some of this intel money coming my way too..

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:49:20 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote:

>Husky wrote:
>> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
>> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>

>Should we hold out for XTX, due out in 2073?

Do what you want. BTX is due out in a few weeks. Nvidia, ATI and several other
companies have already geared up for it.

Look at it this way, you have the choice of win 98, or Windows Vista. You
choose 98, because it's already available. This time next year you can restock
at every yard sale in town. But you'll be 10-xx years behind the technology
that's fixing to open in just a few weeks.

Husky wrote:
> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.

I think that BTX is far from the clear way forward. Support from the
industry is looking rather lackluster at the moment..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Husky wrote:
>> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be
>> old in just
>> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>
> I think that BTX is far from the clear way forward. Support from the
> industry is looking rather lackluster at the moment..

A new form factor and better cooling for some components on the bleeding
edge? I'm not sure that is where the bottleneck is. It's still hard drives.

No way! AFAIK the concept does not allow efficient harddrive cooling
and, more importantly, the component placement makes it impossible to
get the memory close enough to the CPU for AMD (Hammer) based systems
(integrated memory controller, remember?).

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:41:28 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

>Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
>a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.

BTX has been coming for at least two years. It was June 2003 that I saw a prototype BTX case.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:33:35 GMT, Old ah heck <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:41:28 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:
>
>>Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
>>a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>
>BTX has been coming for at least two years. It was June 2003 that I saw a prototype BTX case.

8 years to be more precise. But the cases are no longer prototypes. Production
just needs to get rolling.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:41:28 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

>Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in just
>a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>
>--
>more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Husky, please elucidate the technical virtues of BTX, other than
keeping Intel blazing-inferno-dual-core CPUs cooler. Doesn't help
cool the video card partly in the path of the hot exhaust air from the
CPU block. BTX benefit to Intel 100%; benefit to the purchaser trying
to put an efficient air-cooled performance-system together is -100%
Over to you.............

John Lewis

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:49:20 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Husky wrote:
>>> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old
>>> in just
>>> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>>

>>Should we hold out for XTX, due out in 2073?
>
> Do what you want. BTX is due out in a few weeks. Nvidia, ATI and several
> other
> companies have already geared up for it.
>
> Look at it this way, you have the choice of win 98, or Windows Vista. You
> choose 98, because it's already available. This time next year you can
> restock
> at every yard sale in town. But you'll be 10-xx years behind the
> technology
> that's fixing to open in just a few weeks.
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Uhm...Vista won't be out for...well...a long time.

tk wrote:
> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:41:28 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Very very soon. Before you dump big bux into a NEW ATX that will be old in
>>> just
>>> a few weeks, do some shopping around looking at BTX.
>>>
>>> --
>>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
>>
>> Husky, please elucidate the technical virtues of BTX, other than
>> keeping Intel blazing-inferno-dual-core CPUs cooler. Doesn't help
>> cool the video card partly in the path of the hot exhaust air from the
>> CPU block. BTX benefit to Intel 100%; benefit to the purchaser trying
>> to put an efficient air-cooled performance-system together is -100%
>> Over to you.............
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

> I just googled BTX form factor myself out of curiosity and it the main
> benefits I can
> determine are Better cooling for processor by standardizing where the
> processor has to
> be and it is slightly larger (biggest BTX board) and dumps legacy
> ports/slots.
>
> In other words not needed if you already have a Good tower. My case sits at
> 26 -28 C,
> plenty cool.
>
> Here is a great link for more technical info:
> http://www.formfactors.org/

I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:02:22 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com>
said...
> tk wrote:
> > "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >> Husky, please elucidate the technical virtues of BTX, other than
> >> keeping Intel blazing-inferno-dual-core CPUs cooler. Doesn't help
> >> cool the video card partly in the path of the hot exhaust air from the
> >> CPU block. BTX benefit to Intel 100%; benefit to the purchaser trying
> >> to put an efficient air-cooled performance-system together is -100%
> >> Over to you.............
> >>
> >> John Lewis
> >>

> > I just googled BTX form factor myself out of curiosity and it the main
> > benefits I can
> > determine are Better cooling for processor by standardizing where the
> > processor has to
> > be and it is slightly larger (biggest BTX board) and dumps legacy
> > ports/slots.
> >
> > In other words not needed if you already have a Good tower. My case sits at
> > 26 -28 C,
> > plenty cool.
> >
> > Here is a great link for more technical info:
> > http://www.formfactors.org/
>

> I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
> fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.

No, you're wrong. It's a very big deal. BTX let's the computer
industry sell everyone new cases, motherboards, PSU's, etc. all over
again. :)

Joe

Ed

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:45:59 -0500, Joe Bleaux <me@privacy.net> wrote:

<snip>
>> > Here is a great link for more technical info:
>> > http://www.formfactors.org/
>>

>> I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
>> fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.
>>

>No, you're wrong. It's a very big deal. BTX let's the computer
>industry sell everyone new cases, motherboards, PSU's, etc. all over
>again. :)
>

>Joe

Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
Ed

bill

In article <s8mue1dve8pj509orqoi25umab87au4a2p@4ax.com>,
spam@hotmail.com says...
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:45:59 -0500, Joe Bleaux <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >>

> >> I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
> >> fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.
> >>

> >No, you're wrong. It's a very big deal. BTX let's the computer
> >industry sell everyone new cases, motherboards, PSU's, etc. all over
> >again. :)
> >

> >Joe
>
> Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
> Ed

I heard it leaves your breath minty fresh.

` Bill

Ed wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:45:59 -0500, Joe Bleaux <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>
>>> I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
>>> fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.
>>>

>> No, you're wrong. It's a very big deal. BTX let's the computer
>> industry sell everyone new cases, motherboards, PSU's, etc. all over
>> again. :)
>>

>> Joe
>
> Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
> Ed

I hereby name BTX the Botox of form factors.

Ed wrote:

> Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
> Ed

BTX has nothing to do with the socket design, only with the
socket location, and hence it has nothing to do with the CPU
manufacturers. BTX is nothing more than a way of laying out the
components on a motherboard, and of building cases for such
motherboards, in an attempt to provide better cooling for things
on the motherboard. A motherboard manufacturer can make a BTX
motherboard with *any* socket he wants. BTX is probably also
workable for CPUs that need a slot rather than a socket.

BTX is really nothing new either. All of the cooling techniques
formalized into the BTX standard have been used in servers for
many years. Those same techniques have also been used for a long
time in many Apple PCs and workstations, as well as in many
high-end desktops and workstations made by the likes of IBM,
HPaq, and Sun.

Intel is promoting the use of BTX for P4 motherboards because the
P4 runs so hot that it can easily benefit from BTX, but there is
not now and never will be a *requirement* that motherboard
manufacturers use BTX.

Ed a écrit :

> Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
> Ed

No, Of course, they will use 2TX form factor.
The components will be on the oposite side ... ;-)

Bye
Benoit.

"Ed" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:45:59 -0500, Joe Bleaux <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>

>>> I read that, too, and I don't see what the big deal is with BTX. In
>>> fact, it looks like not much of a deal at all.
>>>

>>No, you're wrong. It's a very big deal. BTX let's the computer
>>industry sell everyone new cases, motherboards, PSU's, etc. all over
>>again. :)
>>

>>Joe
>
> Does anyone know if AMD is planning to use BTX for their next socket?
> Ed

AMD does not make motherboards. As to whether the motherboard manufacturers
(ASUS, Abit, MSI, etc) will make AMD compatible BTX motherboards, the
answers is yes.

Bobby